Conduit/Flexduit

Old 04-06-05, 04:32 PM
Conduit/Flexduit

We're tearing down the shop attached to our house, and need to move the wiring to the a/c outside unit. Problem is that the line runs katy-cornered through the shop at the roof. Of course this means that we have to enclose it like the parts of the line are outside of the shop and attach it to the side of the house.

My husband wants to use flexduit instead of metal conduit. Any thoughts on this? I wanted to get input here before I approach the city about what they require since I'm sure they really don't care out here (99% of the alterations to this house were done without a permit by the previous owner... ). I just want to do it right.

If you need pictures of the run and where it will be, let me know and I'll post them.

Kay

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-05, 05:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Could you please tell us how the unit is wired now, i.e. non-metallic cable, BX, other?

Non-metallic cable is not listed for use outdoors, even if sleeved. You would need to make a transition to a method good for outdoors.

Is the required disconnect installed?

Old 04-06-05, 08:21 PM
Starting at the box outside: This was installed by an electrician, I am assuming. What is wired in this breaker box is the outside yard light, on a pole (power company said they installed the light & pole), and the electricity to the shop. This box is set on the side of the house, near the meter. From it to the left, is the light & pole. From the box to the right we have two different metal conduit pipes. The upper one goes along side of the house, then into the shop as does the lower one. Upper is solely for the a/c unit, lower for the one outlet, and light switch & fixture.

Can be seen here: http://www.kaybyrd.com/photogallery/Projects/image0.htm

Both metal conduits end inside the shop, and the outlet is about where the pipe enters the shop (lower conduit) and the light switch is to the right of the door. There are no inside walls, only the framing and the siding on the outside. To the right of the shop, the conduit beings again right inside the shop and exits out as seen in this picture: http://www.kaybyrd.com/photogallery/Projects/image2.htm then turns to the side of the house to the breaker for the a/c unit.

This image shows (a little bit) of how the a/c wiring is just there in the ceiling of the 'shop'.

The other pictures in the album show various shots of why we're needing to tear this poorly built thing down. The third image http://www.kaybyrd.com/photogallery/Projects/image3.htm shows not only the water damage from the shop roof, but that is the first outside wall that the 'new' conduit will be attached, then turns to go under the window against that brick wall. Other pictures are the damage done in the bedroom ceiling due to the leaking of the shop into that wall. And yes, that is an actual brick wall in our bedroom, backed up against the brick wall in the shop. Those pictures were for a friend to access what we may have to do for the mold problem I'm sure exists, and more picture will be taken when the shop comes down and I can see exactly the extent of the water damage from the shop side. Hopefully we don't have to remove the brick wall in the bedroom.

If you need better pictures, please let me know.

Thanks,

Kay

Ps. How can I tell what type wiring is already been used? I can see no writing on the wiring, and know that its getting wet even though its inside the shop since there are leaks everywhere in that roof except in the 1/4 of the shop at the 'yard' corner.

Last edited by kaybyrd; 04-06-05 at 08:23 PM. Reason: forgot 3rd picture link
Old 04-07-05, 10:33 AM
My preference would be using EMT. How many wires are there feeding the A/C unit.

Old 04-07-05, 01:17 PM
Its just the one wire. What is EMT? I just want to protect the wire from the elements when the shop is gone and that's its only protection now.

Kay