Power from 3 way switch to undercounter lights.

Old 04-07-05, 06:20 AM
bonus21
Visiting Guest
Power from 3 way switch to undercounter lights.

I apologize if this is answered elsewhere, I couldn't find this exact situation.
I had some re-wiring done on my house this week as I am finishing the basement. I had the electricians replace the 2-way switch down to the basement with a 3-way (top and bottom of stairs) and a new feed was run to power the 6 potlights in the basement. The original switchbox was a 2 gang (with the other switch controlling the kitchen overhead light) but I had him carve out the drywall and put a dummy switch (unpowered) to make a 3 gang to anticipate when I will run under counter lighting for the kitchen on both sides of the galley-style kitchen.
The question is:
-can I somehow power the new switch for the under counter lights from the 3 way switch? Given that the wall is drywall over lath and plaster on brick, there is not much room to run another feed up to the dummy switch, then back down the wall across the basement and back up to the other side of the kitchen.

Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-05, 06:50 AM
Describe the setup better. Where is this new switch? Where are the pot lights? Describe both sets of switches and the current wiring.

Old 04-07-05, 07:06 AM
Depends on the actual layout of cables. For example, the 3-way may be connected to the lamp feed and the 2 travelers. In this case, you have neither a true hot line, nor a neutral. In other situations, you may have a hot but no neutral in that box.

Old 04-07-05, 07:15 AM
bonus21
Visiting Guest
Undercounter lighting powered from 3-way switch; possible?

I will describe as best I can: I have had electricians feed the 3-way switch from a new 15 amp circuit in basement, run up to main floor at top of stairs. These stairs go to the basement. The kitchen is right beside these stairs. Before I only had 2 two-way switches at this location: one controlled the overhead light in the kitchen the other controlled the lights in the basement.
Now I have 6 potlights in basement (line voltage halogen, 50 watts each) controlled by this new 3-way switch. Right next to these (the old 2 way that controls the overhead light in kitchen and the 3-way, they installed a 2 way switch with no wires yet run to this switch for future undercounter lights (5 low voltage 20 watt halo's; 2 on one side of kitchen, 3 on opposite side of kitchen).
I need to feed this switch from either the basement circuit with the potlights (which means fishing wire all the way from the junction box in basement, across the basement, up the wall to the switch) or powering it directly from the 3-way switch (which means I don't need to feed up the wall).
Is this possible or will I need to feed directly from the junction box in the basement?

Thanks!

Old 04-07-05, 07:35 AM
How many switches do you have at the top of the stairs and how many at the bottom of the stairs? What do these switches control and what type are they? Where does power enter the circuit(s)? Are these all one circuit?

Pretend your previous posts don't exist.

Old 04-07-05, 08:12 AM
bonus21
Visiting Guest
I have 3 switches at top of stairs and 1 at bottom.
Three switches at top of stairs as below:
A: One 2-way (controls overhead light in kitchen)
B: One is 2-way (dummy, not yet connected- for future undercounter),
C: One is 3-way (traveler to other 3-way at bottom of stairs).
Bottom of Stairs
D: 3-way dimmer (connected to C as above).

A is out of scope for this investigation. C, D control 6 potlights in basement (as previously described) and are powered by 15 amp circuit. Note these lights are the only thing on this circuit.
Question- Can I take power <b>*directly*</b> from inside Switch C to provide power to B? Of course I do not want switched power to B, as I will use B to control the aforementioned undercounter lights.

Thanks!

Old 04-07-05, 03:56 PM
The 2way at the top of the stairs. Do all the wires connected to it come from one cable. If they do then you can't get power from there. If there are white wire connected together and not connected to a switch there may be a power source in that box.

Old 04-07-05, 04:36 PM
I think JoeD means to say the three way at the top of the stairs.

The issue is whether the three way is at the beginning or the end of the two three ways, and whether there is a neutral for that circuit.

Where does the power for the 6 pot lights enter the picture?

Old 04-08-05, 08:24 AM
bonus21
Visiting Guest
The power comes into the 3-way [at the top of the stairs (Switch C)] directly from the panel. I haven't had a hard look in there yet in terms of connections, but it is beginning to sound like I will have to feed the Switch B separately.

Old 04-08-05, 08:41 AM
If power comes into the three way at the top of the stairs and the white neutral wire is present (which it sounds like it is) then you are all set.