Fixture box extensions

Old 04-07-05, 06:13 PM
Fixture box extensions

Can a ceiling fan be hung off of a properly installed metal fixture box that also has an extension attached to it?

It's the extension part I'm concerned about.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-05, 06:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have never seen a box extension rated for use with a fan. Boxes suitable for fan support will be labled 'Acceptable for fan support'.

Old 04-07-05, 11:40 PM
Kind of what I thought, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway and see what comes back.

So what would one do in this situation:

I am remodeling two rooms in my basement that are adjacent to each other. Each has a light fixture in the middle of the ceiling, and both boxes are connected by EMT running between them through the floor joists. The ceiling is acousticle tile installed on furring strips on the bottoms of the floor joists. I was planning on leaving the tiles in place...figured they'd act as a good sound barrier for the rooms above...and then installing sheetrock overtop of them.

Here's the problem. The fixture boxes are sunken a bit into the ceiling, so they are already not flush with the current tiles. Now, when I go and install my sheetrock that will make them at least a half inch more sunken...if you know what I mean.

I placed a scrap piece of half inch sheetrock next to the box on the ceiling and then measured the distance from the surface of the sheetrock to the top edge of the current box. It measures three inches...exactly what I would have if I placed an extension on it.

Problem is I can't move the boxes down because of the conduit attached to them, so what does one do in a situation like this...rip it all out and start over? I could do that. It would be a lot of work, but I could do it if needed. If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears...or eyes in this case.

One more thing. Tonight I was at Lowes and I saw a hangar assembly that I want to use to secure a couple boxes in my garage that I found not mounted to any structure, but I don't understand how they work. I mean, I understand how hangars like these work, but these have a threaded portion that I figure goes into a knockout hole on the back side of a box to mount the box to the hangar. But this particular hangar doesn't come with a nut to screw onto the threads, and I couldn't find one in all of the stuff there at Lowes that would fit. All of the standard nuts are too big for these threads.

Am I missing something here? What's supposed to go on these? How does this thing attach to a box?

Remember, these aren't going to support anything except the box weight.

Since I cannot post attachments, here is a link to a pic of the hangar.

Old 04-08-05, 01:46 AM
So I ask myself, self, when I mount the fan bracket to a normal ceiling box with the two 8/32 x1-1/2" screws provided with the fan, will that really support the fan.

Yes I had that conversation. It was a metal box. Wired with romex. For a tenant in a rental property.It was one of the cheap, first generation light weight fans and it wasn't a problem. I was mostly concerned with the affects of torque and out of balance, than actual weight.

The bracket you linked to is one of several used to "center" fixture boxes in framing. The threaded portion is a sleeve and is held in place by a screw with a shoulder. Under the threaded sleeve is a square washer whose corners are stamped so that they act as a "grip" when the screw is tightened. It fits a 1/2" KO.

You could also use this device as additional support for your fans. As well as any number of contrived methods from heavy plumbers tape, "L" bracket to threaded bolts. Or replace with with an expensive, specially designed fan support.

Old 04-08-05, 11:05 AM
The bracket you linked to is one of several used to "center" fixture boxes in framing.
That's exactly what I want to use it for. I do not intend to use this as a support for a fan.

OK, so I assembled one of the hanger assemblies to a box as you described, and it appears to work OK. But, I have one question. What is the large threaded sleeve intended for? At first sight I thought that it was supposed to go through the hole in the box with a nut on the other side. I'm confused.

Old 04-18-05, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by rcash54
. But, I have one question. What is the large threaded sleeve intended for? At first sight I thought that it was supposed to go through the hole in the box with a nut on the other side. I'm confused.
I checked before I spoke, its been a long time. These were used for chandelier brackets and I am frankly suprised that it was not known by those far more experienced than myself.