Old Work Boxes and wire pulling

Old 04-08-05, 07:01 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old Work Boxes and wire pulling

Hello all,

Thanks to advice and help I got here, my plan for service upgrade was approved and I received my permit today. The plan examiner noticed the load calculations and asked what they were!! When I explained, he said he'd never seen them included with the permit application, but that he was impressed! Thanks all!!!

While I'm waiting for my week "vacation" in two weeks, I'm continuing planning the rewire, which will be done under a separate permit.

Old work boxes. I've seen some oldwork boxes on the internet that have screws angled out so that you can solidly fasten them to a stud, rather than clamp to the wall. The walls are plaster on metal lathe and the thickness varies. Anyone use these and are they any good? I think the clamping type boxes might not work well in my application.

Pulling wire. I have surveyed the attic crawlspace and verified that the wiring is not stapled anywhere, just draped across the ceiling joists. (I realize I will need to bring that to code.) Based upon that observation I am hopeful that the receptacle wiring is not stapled within the walls. My thinking is that I can possibly use the old romex to pull the new romex through the same holes. Since the size of the romex is actually fairly close - I'll be pulling UM-B 12-2 + G replacing silver skinned 14-2 - it might be easier than pulling a line through first. Or would it be adviseable to pull a line through first?

There are corners to negotiate - but just one between receptacles - but 12 ga is pretty stiff. AND I'm also concerned about cutting through the outer sheathing on the UM-B.

Am I wasting my time thinking about attempting to pull the wire through?

Old 04-08-05, 07:43 PM
R
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I wouldnt bank my lucky stars on the romex not being stapled....it probably is. If it isnt then you could give using it a try but this could be very difficult feeding wire into the existing box and pulling it to the next box The smart boxes you mention work well and the blue carlon old work boxes are also good for your situation. The clamps will conform to different wall imperfections quite well. Normally I cut the existing box out using a hand saw that incorporates a hack saw blade. I take the cover plate off the receptacle box and insert the saw between the stud and the box and cut the nails holding the box to the stud. Of course the power is removed from the circuit first. Make good note of how all wires are connected in the box. After disconnecting all the wires pull the old box out and remove the wiring. If the wall isnt insulated fish 2 new cables of 12/2 down from the attic to the box by drilling a hole in the walls top plates where needed. If the wall is insulated then use a length of #4 solid copper and push down to the hole, tie the cables to it and pull them to the hole. There are several ways to locate where you need to drill the top plate. Pull the new cables out of the box hole and put them into the new box. Label the old wiring as abandoned and leave in wall cavity. Install the old workbox into the wall. Then move to the next receptacle running the the second cable in the attic not the wall and repeat the process. If all goes well you will not have any wall damage. Of course there are many variables that may require different stratagies. Hope this helps

Last edited by Roger; 04-09-05 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-08-05, 09:52 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Roger!!!

Yes, it helped a great deal!!

The good news is that the only fastening I've seen on any of the wiring (other than the clamps in the boxes) is where two bundles went from the main panels into the ceiling of the utility room and that fastening was a 20p nail hammered into a rafter spreader and bent over to hold the wires where they turned from vertical to horizontal. Other than that it just goes through notches and holes.

And there (was) also radiant ceiling heat wiring down to thermostats located in the same stud space as the feed in the three bedrooms. I have removed that wiring completely and it wasn't stapled. It was 240V to the thermostats - 12 awg.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

OH, and how would I appropriately label the old wiring as abandoned? If that becomes the case.

Old 04-09-05, 07:28 PM
R
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
There isnt much that code says about abandoned wiring. It is a good idea to just take a sharpie and write on a tag the wiring is abandoned and tape it to the cable then stick it back in the wall cavity.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: