Wiring new outlet..

Old 04-10-05, 10:45 PM
Wiring new outlet..

I am wiring a new outlet, but I do not know the amperage of the circuit I am dealing with. I looked at the breaker box, most of the breakers have a D on them and an amperage specified. But the circuit I am dealing with does not have an amperage specified on the breaker switch (switch looks generic), so the question is, how can I find out the amperage of that circuit without the help of it being printed on the switch itself?
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-05, 12:34 AM
Be safe, install a 20amp.

Old 04-11-05, 05:39 AM
Slow down Snoopyb.

Slonka is having trouble determining the size of an existing circuit breaker.

Slonka, look closely at the breaker handle. You should see a 15 or 20 somewhere. If not then examine the wiring you are attaching to. 12 gauge wire is heavier and stiffer than 14 gauge wire.

If after all this you are still confused, then wire with 12 gauge wire and use a 15 amp duplex receptacle.

Old 04-11-05, 11:00 AM
Sorry question might have been a little confusing. This is what the setup is like, circuit starts about 50 feet from breaker box and is already wired but I need to install new outlet. I did look on breaker switch but there is no information about the amerage on it. Thanks snoopy for suggesting to place a 20 amp outlet on a possible 15 amp circuit, I know that much to not attempt that. Can I hook in a multimeter or something like that to measure the amount of amps or watts on that circuit???

Old 04-11-05, 11:10 AM
The tool to measure current is an ammeter. However, it only measures current that is flowing, not the maximum allowed. You would have to continue adding appliances and examining the load to see when the breaker trips. However, this is not accurate or recommended.

Examine the wire to see whether it is 12 gauge or 14 gauge. You may be able to read the writing on the sheathing, or you may have to go by the actual conductor size.

Old 04-12-05, 12:49 PM
Thank you for your help racraft...