Wiring Help

Old 04-11-05, 10:44 AM
spock_s
Visiting Guest
Wiring Help

Last year I had concrete poured in my backyard and at that time I also had some PVC conduits installed underneath the concrete for future wiring needs.

Now I am trying to run Single Strand 14 Wires through this. BUt, find that there is water in the PVC conduit becuase of the rains.

To get the water out I put a plastic pipe on one end and Blew air from one end. This got some water out of the conduit but not all.

Do any of you have any ideas on how to get all the water out and make the pipe totally dry?

Will there be a problem if there is some water in the Conduit? (FYI, the source of the power for the wires that I am running is GFIC protected)

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-05, 10:50 AM
Is the conduit a continuous raceway or does it extend only under the concrete?

Old 04-11-05, 10:53 AM
Spock,

You are experiencing something that has boggled many DIY minds. But is completely normal. All underground conduits, no matter how extensive the efforts to seal them, have water in them. There is simply no keeping water out of conduits. Even if they don't leak, condensation will build up inside and since it is cold underground, it never leaves. You are protected from the water by the insulation of the conductors. If they are installed with no damage to the insulation, there will be no shorts, shocks, or tripped breakers due to the water. Just ignore it and you'll be fine.

Juice

Old 04-11-05, 11:02 AM
spock_s
Visiting Guest
Thinman,

Thanks, The conduit goes under the concrete and is available at the end of the concrete for furutre expansion.

Juice,

Thanks a million for your reply. I was concerned becuase the source is GFIC protected and its my understanding that the GFIC trips if there is water in the conduit. Is that a true statement?

-Spock

Old 04-11-05, 11:12 AM
A GFCI will not trip if wires are under water, unless the conductor's insulation is damaged. Every underground conduit I have ever dealt with is full of water, and the circuits work just fine, GFCI or not. Rest assured that you will be OK.

For added comfortability on this issue, see John Nelson's reply to the "Purple Primer" post.

Juice

Old 04-11-05, 12:05 PM
spock_s
Visiting Guest
Juice,

Good point about the condensation. Never thought of it from that perspective.

Got it. Thanks a lot.

-Spock

Old 04-11-05, 12:06 PM
Always glad to help.

Juice

Old 04-11-05, 01:55 PM
What type if single strand wire are you trying install the conduit?

Make sure the wire has a 'W' in its insulation designation. Like THWN.