1 light and 1 plug not working

Old 04-12-05, 06:07 PM
1 light and 1 plug not working

Hi
Well here is my story. The back porch light stopped working,first wife changed bulb and still not working. Went to use gfi outside plug right below outside light and it has no juice. Tried reset still does not work. We noticed the plug not working after the light. I replaced the gfi plug thinking it was shot. I also replaced the outside light( we were going to anyway). The plug and light still do not work. The gfi has 2 sets of hot and white wires in the box, so I am assuming after the gfi it goes to the switch for the outside light. All the plugs and switches for lights in the house are working. I think the wires from the diningroom wall outlet is feeding the gfi outlet as they share the same wall and is only 2 ft away from each other. I cant figure out why if I have power in all the other plugs and switches why not at the gfi. Should I check the connections on the inside dining room plug? Please help me it is driving me crazy.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-05, 08:22 PM
Do you have a voltmeter? If so, you need to check for voltage on each pair of wires at each box. You need to find out how far the voltage gets. It's possible that you have voltage coming into one of those boxes, but not going out because of a failed connection.

Old 04-13-05, 04:25 PM
I was wrong

Well I was wrong. The plug in the dining room does not feed the gfi outside. But now I dont know where the power would be coming from Another question. Do they usually put gfi plugs in the same circuit if possible. I do have on in the master bath that I know is on that circuit because my step son at one time plug in his compressor outside in that plug and all the plugs in our bathroom and bedroom stopped working. We had to replace them one by one till we found one that did not have the ground hooked up.Whoever replaced it by the previous owner. So maybe that is feeding the outside gfi. I just dont know right know. I might have to try to figure out the path.

Old 04-13-05, 05:43 PM
Probably the easiest way

to figure out what else is on this circuit is to turn off the breaker and see what else doesn't work. Once you know what's on the circuit, it should be easier to figure out where the power comes in from.

Hope this helps!