Rewiring Older House

Old 04-13-05, 07:25 AM
Rewiring Older House

Does anyone have any tips, suggestions or tricks of the trade when rewiring and older house. I have a 1940 one story with mostly original 2-wire Romex which I plan to replace. Are there any less obvious code issues to look for?

The service panel has been updated and the circuits run up to the attic through an outside wall that has since been insulated so I will have to reroute that and there are several options. The circuits feed down to the receptacles and switches. The ceiling fixtures are fed from the switches.

Seems to me to be easier to feed the receptacles from the basement. It also seems easier to me to feed the ceiling fixtures so that there is only one NM to run to the switches. Any comments on this?

Do I try to save the wall boxes by breaking out the plaster or do I try to save the plaster and cut out the boxes? These old wall boxes look undersize by today's standard.

This work is preliminary to converting the attic space to living space...does anyone want to come help me with this little project?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-05, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by fredmorrison
Does anyone have any tips, suggestions or tricks of the trade when rewiring and older house. I have a 1940 one story with mostly original 2-wire Romex which I plan to replace. Are there any less obvious code issues to look for?

The service panel has been updated and the circuits run up to the attic through an outside wall that has since been insulated so I will have to reroute that and there are several options. The circuits feed down to the receptacles and switches. The ceiling fixtures are fed from the switches.

Seems to me to be easier to feed the receptacles from the basement. It also seems easier to me to feed the ceiling fixtures so that there is only one NM to run to the switches. Any comments on this?

Do I try to save the wall boxes by breaking out the plaster or do I try to save the plaster and cut out the boxes? These old wall boxes look undersize by today's standard.

This work is preliminary to converting the attic space to living space...does anyone want to come help me with this little project?
You have a pretty good grasp on how do it.

I like to have power supply available in at least one ceiling outlet. That way you have access for a future power feed. You don't have to do it that way in every ceiling outlet, though. But if your making a living space in the attic that won't work for you.

Measure the existing steel outlet boxes for cubic inches. You might not have to remove all of them. Just the ones that won't have enough space for devices and multiple cables.

Cut the old boxes out to remove them. Less patch work required.

You'll have to run the romex parallel to the rafters and also drill holes through the rafters if you plan on putting down a floor.

I'll help you on the following conditions: live in a tropical climate. Pay my round trip airfare. Provide room and board.

Old 04-14-05, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the comments, thinman.

Originally Posted by thinman
I'll help you on the following conditions: live in a tropical climate. Pay my round trip airfare. Provide room and board.
I can handle the room and board and maybe the climate....Iowa in July could be about 90 degrees and 90 % humidity...that's sorta tropical, right?

Old 04-14-05, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by fredmorrison
Thanks for the comments, thinman.

I can handle the room and board and maybe the climate....Iowa in July could be about 90 degrees and 90 % humidity...that's sorta tropical, right?
I was thinking more like warm ocean water and white sand beaches!

Old 04-15-05, 05:23 AM
lol..Thin wants to work 1 hour and lay on the beach 9 hours.....WAIT...sounds like the guys in my crew...lol

Old 04-15-05, 05:41 AM
Originally Posted by thinman
I was thinking more like warm ocean water and white sand beaches!
I checked NEC and CURRENTLY there are no oceans in Iowa, tropical or otherwise. Sorry, thinman.

Old 04-15-05, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by ElectricalMan
lol..Thin wants to work 1 hour and lay on the beach 9 hours.....WAIT...sounds like the guys in my crew...lol
lol. i can get 10 hours of work done in 1 hour! Makes for a nice work schedule!

Old 04-15-05, 11:00 AM
Now you're talkin.....that's a deal....10 hours of work for one hour of pay!