Split Undersink Receptacle

Old 04-13-05, 11:21 AM
Split Undersink Receptacle

I'd like to install an undersink receptacle for use by a garbage disposal. I'd like to have a split duplex receptacle with one half switched by an above cabinet switch (is split receptacle still the correct terminology in this case?). That way the other half can be always on for some unknown future use. I just realized that I don't think GFI receptacles can be split, at least not the one I have because it clearly says one brass screw is for the line and one is for the load. Would I be best off installing a GFI breaker and a normal 15A receptacle? Undersink receptacles are somewhat common. Is there a normal acceptable arrangement for these? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-05, 11:34 AM
You don;t need GFCI protection for a garbage disposal, dishwasher, hot water appliance or anything else you will install under the sink.

Old 04-13-05, 01:27 PM
I agree with Bob that GFCI is neither required, nor common, nor even desirable here. But if you want it anyway, since you cannot split-wire a GFCI, just install two receptacles side by side in a double-gang box.

Old 04-18-05, 08:53 AM
Thanks for your answers. I installed a regular split-and-switched receptacle and over the weekend installed the garbage disposal. It couldn't have gone any smoother than it did.