GFCI / Wiring -Hot Tub-

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-05, 12:21 PM
GFCI / Wiring -Hot Tub-

Why is it so important (except to meet code) to install a GFCI breaker in line with a hot tub? Sure it's a safety issue, but who wants to pay $100 when you can get a standard breaker for $15.00. If water comes in contact with a standard breaker its going to trip as well, whats the deal? I was informed you can't run 6/3 shielded wire in conduit, help!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-05, 12:24 PM
The GFCI protection is to prevent you from electrocuting yourself.

Old 04-13-05, 12:40 PM
Gfci

Bob
Thank You! I understand about getting fried, I'm looking for some substance on the technical side. Hot tubs were installed long before GFCI's were being pushed. What does the gfci provide that a standard breaker doesn't? There wired very similar/ except for a pigtail ground.

Thanks Again

Old 04-13-05, 12:55 PM
The GFCI trips before you get electrocuted. The regular breaker trips after you get electrocuted. It's well worth it.

Old 04-13-05, 01:00 PM
Gfci

John

Now I know why they cost some much, they can tell when i'm actually in the hot tub. I still say either will trip on detecting a short. I quess you know which way i'm leaning.

Thanks

Old 04-13-05, 01:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sure it's a safety issue, but who wants to pay $100 when you can get a standard breaker for $15.00.
What does the gfci provide that a standard breaker doesn't?
I can't believe I am reading this.

rentem, I think you need to do a web search for GFI and see exactly why they are a safety benefit. I think you are putting a price on safety which should not be judged by the almighty dollar.

If water comes in contact with a standard breaker its going to trip as well, whats the deal?
Absolutely false. I know for fact.
I have seen with my own eyes, a full 200 amp main breaker panel, under water, still live and working. The only breaker that tripped was the GFI breaker.

I still say either will trip on detecting a short.
True. But GFI has NOTHING to do with short circuits or overload. It has to do with imbalance. Imbalance in which your body can make up a path to ground and can make you DEAD.

I was informed you can't run 6/3 shielded wire in conduit
No, not if it is for a hot tub/spa. Are you wiring this yourself? Are you aware of all the codes involved with wiring a spa??? There are some very complex things you NEED to make sure are done.
You WILL have this inspected, right????

Old 04-13-05, 01:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Standard breakers are designed to prevent fires and protect machinery and appliances. GFCI breakers prevent electrocution.

0.00001 amps (10 mA) is enough to kill a wet person! That's a far cry from the 50 amps it would require to actually light the hot tub on fire.

A GFCI is expensive because it must be sensitive enough to detect a ground path through a human body before the fatal limit is reached.

Old 04-13-05, 02:43 PM
I also am having a hard time believing that this is even an issue. For most of us here, we're having the same reaction as if you were trying to convince us that it's not really necessary to look both ways before crossing the highway.

Old 04-13-05, 03:43 PM
gfci

Thank You Speedy Petey you gave me the exact information I was looking for. All I was looking for was a definitive answer. Get a contractor Period! Thanks All,didn't mean to push anyone to the edge. Understood (how it worked here)if I asked someone might be happy to answer. Still say GFCI breakers and disconnects are overpriced because of this application.

Old 04-13-05, 04:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
So $100 is not worth the price when it could save the life of a loved one?

How much is it worth to hold a loved one in your arms or to see the sparkle in your kids eyes?

Lets take the air bags out of cars while we're at it, they cost too much.

Old 04-13-05, 05:01 PM
Gfci

PCBoss Thanks for your thoughts, would you pay 100k for a 20k car just because it had a airbag? I know, I know what if!!!!

Closed Thread