Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Moving into new shop and need to run 220 to my table saw, etc

Old 04-13-05, 08:16 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest

I'm moving my place of business and will need to run 220 lines to run my dust collector and table saw.

The panel is wired with 220 and 3 phase. If I shut off the "Main" breaker, am I safe to mess around with anything in the panel, meaning I can remove breakers and wire them without being electricuted.

I'm scared of doing 220 as I know it can knock you for a loop. I hate electrical as it is, but I'm downsizing my shop to save money, so I need to save where I can. If it's just not a smart idea for me to attempt this myself, then I'll buck up the money and have someone who knows how to, do it for me.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-05, 08:36 PM
240 volts is no more dangerous than 120 as long as you keep one hand in your pocket. A panel is not completely safe merely by turning off the main breaker. That doesn't deaden everything in the panel. Working in a panel is inherently more dangerous than working at an outlet. That is why it is often recommended to have an electrician do the panel work. This recommendation is not always followed when you have an experienced DIYer who understands exactly what he's doing.

A healthy measure of fear is a very good thing.

Old 04-13-05, 08:40 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
My brother-in-law graduated from Electrical School to become an electriction, so i would assume he could do it for me. I've been zapped a few times from 120 and that doesn't thrill me. Purely stupidity when I did it.

Thanks

Old 04-13-05, 11:06 PM
When you shut off the main, you are only shutting off power to the buss bars, one side of the main breaker is still hot.
If you have a service disconnect, usually on the exterior of the building, that is accessable without breaking a seal, you can kill the service at that location,ONLY AFTER HAVING SHUT OFF THE MAIN.

You will not need to remove the breakers to wire them

As an after thought, is your existing equipment 3 phase? Because 240v 3 phase is an entirely different animal then 240v single phase.

Old 04-14-05, 05:27 AM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
My table saw and dust collector are 240. My spray booth is 3 phase.

Old 04-14-05, 06:40 AM
Saw....

I am not trying to be a Butt Munch here....but since you are thinking of working in your panel I bring you to this statement you made....

"I've been zapped a few times from 120 and that doesn't thrill me. Purely stupidity when I did it."

Now...again I am not being mean...really I am not but if you made the mistakes on 120 and knew when you did it...chances are you will make the same type of mistakes in the panel and that could be the last few mistakes you ever make...

Remember....as others have said before. Just cutting off the main breaker does not reduces the danger in the panel as it pertains to voltage being their...it is still their and without caution it can still jump up and snap ya in the BUTT if not careful.

Oh also...can we all say HIGH LEG together and what happens if you get it wrong....

Old 04-14-05, 11:53 AM
I've been in my service panel a few times now to replace breakers or add new circuits. I am well aware of which wires are for the service entrance and that where they run into the main breaker will always be hot. Aside from staying far away from those wires, are there other things diy'ers should be aware of when working in the service panel as far as reducing risk of harm?

Old 04-14-05, 12:00 PM
Be careful when removing the panel cover so that you don't bump it into the lugs inside when removing it.

Make sure you use the correct breakers for the panel.

Tighten all connections quite tight (but don't break your arm doing so).

Route the wires neatly. Don't strip too much insulation, or too little sheathing.

Follow guidelines as to how many wires can go where. Most breakers only allow one wire (some two). Holes that contain a neutral cannot contain any other wire.

Old 04-14-05, 04:17 PM
You say this is 3 phase. That usually means you 208 volts not 240. Make sure your equipment can run on that voltage or you actually have 240 volts..

Old 04-14-05, 05:49 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
I know I need 3 phase because that's what my current spray booth is hooked up with.

I've decided that I'm going to let someone who knows what they're doing, do the work. I don't need to end up with hair like Don King

Old 04-14-05, 08:56 PM
If you look on the nomenclatuer tag on your other equipment it will generaly tell you the options you have for power that equipment can be wired to operate on.
In some cases phase is actually that word, in others it may be a 1 followed by a 0 with a / thru it. the same applies to 3 phase.
Straight 3 phase is three 120V legs, any of which combined with another will equal 240V.
In some cases there will be a "high leg", which can be 208, 270, which are single conductor application such as specific equipment or building lighting.
If you do not have a subpanel for 120/240V single phase equipment and convenience recep., chances are you will need one. However, if you have the space, they can be feed from the 3 phase panel.