breaker install ?s

Old 05-29-05, 07:26 PM
nunyobizniz
Visiting Guest
Question breaker install ?s

Howdy. I just bought a house this year and was happy to see that the garage has its own breaker box. Unfortunately, its all hard wired with wire nuts. So, it has a main, and 8 individual breakers, which for the 5 wires coming in should be sufficient for now. heres my question, The black is hot. So the white and plain copper go to the screw in ground thing? Also, if this is correct, does it matter in what order? As you can tell all the breaker exp. i have is flipping them back on, but if i just knew these few things, im sure i could tackle it. Any useful info will help. Thanks all.

Old 05-29-05, 07:43 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
As Bob (one of our frequent posters) would say, "Slow down." Your knowledge is still insufficient to begin any kind of electrical project. Start by reading three good books on home wiring, and then come back with your questions.

Old 05-30-05, 04:27 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well John only stole half my thunder. Please also determine exactly what each breaker controls. (Do this for the house and the garage.) Make sure you know exactly what circuits (lights, receptacles, hard wired appliances, etc.) are on each and every breaker, and exactly what breaker controls each and every receptacle, switch or appliance. This information could save your life some day.

If this is a detached garage, then the breakers should only control items in or attached to the garage, or perhaps something like a shed or other outbuilding. Nothing in the main house should be controlled by this garage panel. Likewise, the main house panel should control control nothing in the garage, except perhaps a light that has a switch in both locations.

Pay attention to the garage panel, there might be 240 volt breakers for items such as compressors, welders, etc that the previous owner removed. Those circuits hopefully terminate at a receptacle, but it's also possible that the wires just terminate in the air (such as after the device was disconnected).

Be careful. Electricity can kill and cause fires. Don;t become another statistic.

Old 05-30-05, 08:55 AM
nunyobizniz
Visiting Guest
Shocking!!!

Thanks for the saftey tips. No new hairdos here. Anyways, yes, its a detached garage, nothing in my home panel controls anything in the garage, except the main( theres a 60 amp breaker inside run out to the garage) Also, the garage only has three recepticals, two lights, then a run to my shed. Yeah, i do need to read up, just thought it would be as easy as it looks. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: