Is a 100 Amp Main Panel too small?

Old 04-14-05, 06:35 PM
bretamy1
Visiting Guest
Is a 100 Amp Main Panel too small?

All,
I need some advice and guidence. I have a 100 Amp Main Service Panel in my home ( 20 years old ). The cables that feed it are 00 gage aluminum. Everything is working well and All my breaker slots are used up right now. ( Furnace Blower, AC, Stove, Wirlpool tub, Fridge, Fan, Office, Kitchen, 3 bed rooms, Livingroom but gas dryer and gas hot water ). The problem is I just bought a new hot tub that calls for 240V power and has a 60 A load. I read in some of my do it yourself books that you can buy these super slim brakers an gain some space back in you Service Panel for this type of add. I have also read that I could create a subpanel for the hottub and any future adds I might want to do. Still other books suggest that the only solution is to rehaul my service panel to a higher limit box. Any help folks could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Bret

Last edited by bretamy1; 04-14-05 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Changed mAmps to Amps
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-05, 06:49 PM
I think you mean 60 amps for that hot tub, not 60 milliamps...

Yes, you need a larger panel and service.

Old 04-14-05, 09:16 PM
Devoting 60% of the available power for the whole house to the hot tub is suspect. I suggest you have an electrician do a demand load calculation on your house to see if your 100-amp service is sufficient to support the addition of the hot tub. I suspect not. You may need a service upgrade before you can install the hot tub.

Old 05-30-05, 07:39 AM
bretamy1
Visiting Guest
How it turned out.

In doing the load calculation I found an old Electric Dryer Breaker that was not being used. I pulled this unused breaker out and put in the breaker for the hot tub. I also found that the tub had a low current setting that allowed me to use a 50 amp braker instead of a 60 amp. According to my calculations the house came in at just under the 100 amp load limit. Time will tell it that is really the case or not. The central air has not yet been turned on for the hot season. So far so good though. I have had the tub in for a month now with no electrical incidents ( Circuits Tripped ).
Thanks for the help.

Old 05-30-05, 08:04 AM
I sure hope that you ran the appropriate type of wire for this hot tub.