Aluminum wiring for dryer

Old 04-16-05, 05:30 AM
chief96
Visiting Guest
Aluminum wiring for dryer

Hello,
The other day the outlet to my dryer started melting. I turned the breaker off and took the outlet apart. The connector on one side was burnt and it fell apart when I touched it. My question is, should I just replace the outlet or have the entire circuit rewired with copper. The outlet was replaced last year with one that had "al-cu" stamped on it. Should it have failed on me. One last thing, I metered the circuit out and both sides registered 120v apiece.
Thanks,
JM

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-05, 05:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This receptacle is only a year old?? Obviously something was not done right. Probably over or under tightened terminals. Was anti-ox used on the conductors?
Circuits/receptacles like this were used extensively for years. I will say thoigh, if it is an easy job, replacing the circuit with 4-wire copper would be the best thing to do, but definitely not required.

Old 04-16-05, 06:00 AM
chief96
Visiting Guest
Speedy,
I did not know about the anti-ox stuff. When I buy a new receptacle today, I will make sure I get some. Does it have to go on all three terminals. Including the ground? How tight should the lugs be as well.
Thanks,
JM

Old 04-16-05, 06:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The anti-ox goes on the wire. I like to ut some one the screw threads as well.
Tight is a relative thing and hard to describe with words. I'll say not cranked as tight as you can make it, and not nearly loose.