determine cost to run swimming pool equip

Old 04-16-05, 02:30 PM
determine cost to run swimming pool equip

How would I determine what it costs per hour to run my swimming pool filter-pump. Both are 240v and on their own subpanel.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-05, 03:38 PM
Shut off all the breakers except for the pool pump. Turn on the pump and count the revolutions of your meter disc (if you still have a meter with a disc) per minute. The meter will be labeled with how many watts-hours are represented by one rotation.

Old 04-16-05, 05:07 PM
Youch

All the breakers! That means resetting all the clocks, tvs, vcrs.... Can I shut off the pool equip and count the revs then turn it back on and count the revs...the delta is the amount the pool equip consumes?

Old 04-16-05, 05:11 PM
IF you don't shut off everything it will not be a true reading. Things (fridge, freezer, water heater, lights) will be going on and off other than the pool.

You could get a clamp on ampmeter, measure the cureent draw and do a calculation that should be close.

Old 04-16-05, 05:39 PM
Because so many things in your house (e.g., refrigerator, sump pump, furnace, water heater) come on and off by themselves, it would be difficult to get an accurate reading without shutting off the other breakers. It depends on how accurate of a reading you want. You could try it your way, but do it ten times and only keep the most common results.

You could just read the specs on the pump to see how many watts it consumes.