question about circuit breakers in my box

Old 04-18-05, 06:09 PM
question about circuit breakers in my box

In my circuit breaker box there are a few breakers that actual have 2 breaker switches on them. Each switch on the breaker is labeled "15" which I assume is 15 amps. The switches are also blue colored as opposed to all the other switches in the box that are black. These particular breakers are also no bigger than the other 15 and 20 amp breakers in my box, just that they have 2 separate switches on them.

Can someone explain exactly what these are?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-05, 07:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
These are commonly called tandem breakers. They are actually 2 breakers in the space of one.

Yes, the 15 is the ampere rating of the breaker.

Old 04-21-05, 06:24 AM
They are also sometimes referred to as "piggyback" breakers. Many homes are provided with panels that have too few spaces, and when circuits are added the panel quickly fills up, preventing future expansion. So the manufacturers came up with a solution to this very common problem - two breakers that fit in the space of one. Pretty clever, huh? They are truly two completely separate 15 amp circuit breakers that give you the same protection as a full-size single breaker.

Juice

Old 04-21-05, 11:20 AM
Thats interesting, thanks for the explanation guys. I wasnt sure if it was just a 15 amp breaker split between 2 circuits or what.