re-wiring garage

Old 04-20-05, 11:45 AM
BigDaveZJ
Visiting Guest
re-wiring garage

I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to home wiring, but I have some automotive wiring experience so I figured I'd see if I can tackle this on a DIY project.

Currently the garage is powered on one 15 amp circuit. There are a whopping 3 outlets. I spend a LOT of time working on my Jeep and fabricating parts, so I need more power. My 110 compressor alone pulls around 15 amps so I usually get to choose between air tools, or lights, LOL. This wouldn't be TOO big of an issue, except the main box is full. To my advantage (I think) the main box is on an outside wall of the unfinished garage.

In speaking with a few people, they have mentioned running a sub box. I get the concept of this, just not sure how to do it. What I would like in the garage is 3 separate 20 amp circuits (one for the compressor, the other two for lights and power tools), and 1 220 outlet for a welder (don't have the welder yet, but I really like the Miller 210 MIG, and I currently have a cheapie 50 amp stick buzz box).

My thoughts are to run a sub box into the garage, and then run my circuits from there. I've heard mention of permits and the like, do I need a permit for this? If so, how do I get one?

What kind of materials am I looking at here? It's only a 2-car garage, so I don't expect I'll need massive amounts of wire to pull this off.

Thanks!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-05, 11:55 AM
If your breaker box is full of full size breakers you can replace some with half-size breakers and make room for more circuits.

Old 04-20-05, 11:59 AM
BigDaveZJ
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by fredmorrison
If your breaker box is full of full size breakers you can replace some with half-size breakers and make room for more circuits.
If I remember right from looking at it last time, the only full size breakers are the 220 ones for the stove and dryer.

Old 04-20-05, 12:21 PM
The 220 breaker would double size not full size.