Bad Outlet

Old 04-20-05, 05:03 PM
lady_mommybear
Visiting Guest
Bad Outlet

I have what I think is a bad outlet but the deal is, It was working fine yesterday morning but it wasn't later in the afternoon. The outlet is in the bathroom and it has a tester on it where if it trips it has a reset button you can push. This is one of 2 one on each side of the mirror. If this one witht the reset button dosn't work the other want work. They are fairly new only about 3 to 4 years old. We did the reset and then did the reset at the breaker box and even turned off the main breaker and turned it back on and it didn't work. What could have happen The only thing plug in at the time in the one outlett was a wall clock and a heater that wasn't on. In the other outlet was 2 curling irons that was left on. which I have done befour ( they are protected) What could have happen ? And could just changing out the outlet fix the problem? Or could they be something else. There is no other problems in the house that we have found.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-05, 05:08 PM
The most likely explanation is that you have a real ground fault. The most likely cause is that some water got splashed into one of the receptacles, heavy rains may have penetrated the wall, or a plumbing leak may be getting moisture into the box. Do any of these seem plausible? If so, it may take weeks for it to fully dry out. You might be able to accelerate the drying process with a hair dryer.

If these all seem implausible, then there are some less-likely explanations we can explore. Make sure you unplug everything before trying the reset button again.

Old 04-20-05, 05:18 PM
lady_mommybear
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply I don't think the outlet could have gotten wet it is to high up and on an inside wall. I did take off the cover and took a peek at them they look nice and dry and all wires look tight. I didn't remove the outlet just looked at it. But I will try the hairdryer on them in the am. Thank you

Old 04-21-05, 04:28 AM
Diagnosing a tripping GFCI involves removing things one at a time from the load side of the GFCI, and then seeing when it stops tripping. Or, you could just take a shot in the dark and replace the GFCI itself.

You might start by shutting off the breaker, and then disconnecting the wires from the "load" side of the GFCI before turning the breaker back on. Then see if the GFCI can be reset and it so if the GFCI receptacle now works.