220v, connecting inside fusebox

Old 04-21-05, 02:08 PM
mchar
Visiting Guest
220v, connecting inside fusebox

HELP! I'm re-doing my basement. I pulled lots of old cables, wires, pipes, phone lines, wire which was run haphazardly to make more sense of the basements' future drywalling AND - pulled the 220 line out of the fusebox and never checked if black went to red or if white went to red. There s also a black - both coming from the hot side...I'm figuring that switching the lines won't matter either way. Of course the ground goes properly.
Thanks -Mark

Old 04-21-05, 03:50 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please clarify. You want to connect what and what from what to what and what from what?

But if you have a 220-volt circuit with only two wires (plus maybe a ground), then it doesn't matter (i.e., there's no polarity to worry about).

Old 04-21-05, 04:01 PM
mchar
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I'm not a 220 guy. The 12 ga. wire has white, black, ground. My box has a red feed and also a black feed coming from the fuse block...I think the installer used red to indicate something..and the blacks to be tied together...plus the white line from the A/C unit had a black tape band around it..I'm 220 clueless..
Mark

Old 04-22-05, 01:57 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If your ac line has only a white and a black, and the white has black tape on it then connect both those wires to the black and red that you have. It doesn't matter if you go black to black and red to white or swap them.

Old 04-22-05, 08:54 AM
mchar
Visiting Guest
Thanks, will do, and If I see smoke coming from my A/C unit I'll go to the DIY HVAC section!
Mark

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: