installing front & back door bells

Old 04-21-05, 04:57 PM
tiffer
Visiting Guest
Question installing front & back door bells

At one time our house apparently had an electrical front and back door bells. I can see the transformer in the basement. These were replaced, for some reason, by a wireless battery operated chime. The chime has never functioned correctly in spite of my contacting the manufacturer for help. The chime tends to go off on it's own with no one actually depressing the button either in the front or rear of the house. I would like to go back to the old style electric bell. Problem is that the wires to the front and back were apparently cut off at the point where the new buttons were installed. How difficult would it be to rewire? Is this something I could do or would an electrician be needed?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-05, 02:03 AM
The neighbor kids are playing a trick on you called ding and ditch. No seriously, wireless products, especially older ones, have problems with interference caused by anything and everything.

You might try a new wireless doorbell as it will most likely cost you less (and certainly be less time consuming to install). A newer product may not suffer from interference.

You do not need an electrician to install a doorbell. The only part that involves 120 volts ac is the transformer. If the old one has been disconnected or no longer works then you would have to buy a new one and install it. That's the easy part. The harder part is running the wires. You will most likely have to remove door casings in order to snake wires up to the doors. You would then have to place the chime somewhere where you can run wires to it.