Outdoor GFI

Old 04-22-05, 07:18 AM
Outdoor GFI

I am planning on adding two outlets outside by extending an exsisting GFI outlet that is also outside.
2 questions....1. Is it ok to just add non-GFI outlets on the load side of the exsisting GFI outlet or should the two new outlets be GFI as well? 2. Are they any other concerns or issues to consider?
The extension should not be more the 35 feet. I had planned on using 1/2" pipe w/14ga wire and it will be strapped to an exterior wall of our house. Obviously, I will make it waterproof. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-05, 07:53 AM
No problem, tying the new circuit to the load side of the GFCI will also protect the new recepticles. If you want to run 14 ga wire make sure it is a 15 amp breaker feeding it. If its a 20 amp breaker or fuse you will have to use 12 ga wire.

Old 04-22-05, 08:06 AM
Yes, connecting to load side of GFCI recep when extending a circuit will provide ground fault protection to all downstream devices. I would suggest using PVC conduit. EMT will eventually rust.

Juice

Old 04-23-05, 03:11 PM
my mistake, I bought 12ga wire. Is that OK for 15 amp breaker? Also I will use EMT and paint it to match exterior wall.

Old 04-25-05, 06:44 AM
You may use #12 wire on a 15 amp breaker because it is rated for 20 amps. If all the wire on that circuit is #12 you may increase the breaker to 20 amps if your power requirements on that circuit ever increase. It is only when there is #14 wire present, anywhere on the entire circuit, that the breaker cannot be increased to from 15 amps to 20 amps. This is because #14 wire is rated 15 amps max and must be protected by a 15 amp OCPD (overcurrent protective device - meaning fuse or breaker).

I suppose painting EMT will offer a little protection from rusting. Be sure to use the compression style connectors, and not the set screw type, for exterior applications.

Juice

Old 04-25-05, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the info. Much obliged.