How to run romex in attic?

Old 04-22-05, 07:05 AM
hth
How to run romex in attic?

I need to run romex from a j-box in the attic to another location close to my bathroom. I plan to put another j-box and run romex from one box to the other. However I am not sure how to run the romex to make it safe and within the code. It will be across the joists. Is it just simply running the romex and stapple every 4 ft? Please advice. Also what is the difference if it is along with the joists. Thx.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-05, 09:57 AM
hth,

Basically you need to follow a few simple rules ( beyond the electrical junk you will hear about making sure you can add the line, if the circuit can allow it and all that mumbo jumbo) but I will answer your question based on the code as it pertains to running the wires in the attic.

1.) Wires that run near a scuttle hole - See Art. 336.6d (1999NEC ) or Art. 334.23 ( 2002NEC )

You will be refered to Art. 333-12 (a) and (b)........

I would suggest you simply drill a set of holes through the floor joists from point A to point B and you then do not have to worry about the 333-12 but you need to be aware of running within 6' of the access hole......

You could also nail a 2x4 from point A to point b and then run the wire along the side of the 2x4 for a running board........this would work as well.

Old 04-22-05, 10:43 AM
hth
There is no issue with the load, wire gauge that should be concerned. All I am not sure is how to run the wire when it crosses the joists. I have the book "Wiring a House", still wanted to ask more. I don't have access to the NEC articles you mentioned. Probably I will use a running board. Thx.

Old 04-22-05, 02:24 PM
When runing parallel to a truss, strap the wire in the middle of the truss. When you cross a truss, use a 2x4 as a running board and strap to the side of that. The whole idea is not to be able to step on the wire when you are walking on the framework.

Old 04-22-05, 06:32 PM
hth
thanks. It is clear now.