60 amp to 100 amp 'heavy' up?

Old 04-22-05, 07:57 AM
mchar
Visiting Guest
60 amp to 100 amp 'heavy' up?

Our lousy local yokels have pronounced that my rental apt w/ 60 service needs to be upgraded to 100 amps "to meet code". If I only change the panel and do nothing else, how is it possible that this is anything but FUBAR?
Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-05, 08:19 AM
The wire from the meter base to the panel will have to be replaced. The meter base will have to be replaced if it's not already rated for 100 amp. If its an overhead service the wire up to the service head will have to be changed to 100 amp. If it's an over head service & doesn't meet code as to height (and also meet electric company requirements) then the height of the service may have to be changed as well, such as running a service pipe up through the over hang of the house.

Old 04-22-05, 10:39 AM
mchar
Visiting Guest
Thanks, but what I meant is that merely changing the panel to 100 amps does not make a safer rental unit, right? It's 100 years old. The wires are on
those white insulators found on cow fences, through the joists. Putting a new 100 amp panel doesn't do diddly squat, IMHO for safety. It's only something some bureaucrat can do to make his 8 1/2 hours..
Mark

Old 04-22-05, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by mchar
Thanks, but what I meant is that merely changing the panel to 100 amps does not make a safer rental unit, right? It's 100 years old. The wires are on
those white insulators found on cow fences, through the joists. Putting a new 100 amp panel doesn't do diddly squat, IMHO for safety. It's only something some bureaucrat can do to make his 8 1/2 hours..
Mark
It would be better to replace the old K&T (knob and tube) wiring first. Your insurance might not cover you if a fire is determined to be electrical in origin, with that wiring in place (because such wiring is generally so old the insulation is falling off). Other codes may require energy efficiency requirements, and things like insulation in the walls is mostly incompatible with that wiring.

Personally, I think the requirement for 60 amps doesn't always make sense. But the current code requires 100 amps. And in some localities, rental units don't get the grandfathering that owner occupied single family homes get.

Old 04-22-05, 02:05 PM
mchar
Visiting Guest
You're right. Grandfathered death traps, be it rental or owner occupied, are bad. But since you need a rental license, the city has landlords by the short hairs..they don't care about real safety, because if so then ALL buildings would be covered. Pick on the landlords. OK, I'll empty the place, NOT rent it, and create the beginnings of a a crime infested area. Is there a DIY forum for politics?
Mark