Compressor trips breaker, my dilemma

Old 04-24-05, 04:23 AM
Compressor trips breaker, my dilemma

My garage is wired off a 20 breaker that is shared with most of the rec-room. (2 computers on same circuit as well).

During long jobs my air compressor will easily trip the 20amp breaker. (It'
s fine with everything else powered down.)

My inital thoughts were to run a new circuit dedicated to just my compressor, but I'm out of space in my breaker box. (It's a 24 position FPE box with 150amp service)

The only two ideas I can come up with are: (I have no idea how code-worthy this is)

1. Install a subpanel for the garage and put the rec-room and garage on seperate circuits.

Or the easier one (if it's safe)

2. There is a 20amp circuit going to the adjoining laundry room, all it feeds is the washing machine outlet. Is it safe to run two sets of wire to one breaker? If so, even to another room?

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-05, 11:53 AM
The FPE box is junk, so you'll want to replace it anyway. And when you replace it with a 40-space SquareD, you'll have room for that dedicated circuit for your compressor.

(1) The subpanel is a feasible solution, but I'd rather see you trash that FPE panel.

(2) You are not allowed by code to put a receptacle on the laundry receptacle circuit that does not serve the laundry area.

Old 04-24-05, 04:47 PM
You may want to look at the link about Federal Pacific panels.
http://www.inspect-ny.com/fpe/fpepanel.htm

Old 04-25-05, 08:14 AM
I kind of agree with the guys here, I would want that fed panel gone too. I have about 25 panels and I finally got rid of my last fed. I had a spot a breaker didt trip till it melted the wire, that baby is gone.

Old 04-25-05, 09:10 AM
What's a SPOT breaker? FPE single pole breakers work just fine. It's the double pole ones that don't.

Old 04-25-05, 12:08 PM
My friend had a FPE single pole breaker that did not trip.

Old 04-25-05, 06:01 PM
I agree, the problem I had with one was a single

Old 04-26-05, 05:35 AM
The person who started this thread has a problem whereby they are overloading the breaker and it's tripping. Sounds like it's working to me.

As for your comments about single pole FPE breakers not tripping, how old are they? I wouldn't trust any breakers above a certain age. I have a FPE breaker panel and after doing all the reading, I load tested all of mine and they tripped on overload. I'm not the least bit concerned that they won't trip if need be.

Old 04-26-05, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by Icondude
The person who started this thread has a problem whereby they are overloading the breaker and it's tripping. Sounds like it's working to me.

As for your comments about single pole FPE breakers not tripping, how old are they? I wouldn't trust any breakers above a certain age. I have a FPE breaker panel and after doing all the reading, I load tested all of mine and they tripped on overload. I'm not the least bit concerned that they won't trip if need be.

Sorry to take this further off topic, but I cannot afford to replace the entire panel and all of it's breakers.

Icondude, how did you go about load testing your breakers? I wouldn't mine testing mine to settle these newfound worries of my breaker panel frying..

Thanks!

Old 04-26-05, 06:29 PM
As the man said, obviously its working, the only real solution is a sub. Unless you have one or can find a used one breakers are kind of pricey for those panels. (You will need a 2 pole) I wouldnt lose sleep about testing, there are still a lot of those panels in use.

Old 04-27-05, 05:58 AM
I agree. There's no point testing your panel. The breakers probably only fail to trip one time out of a thousand, so one test won't really prove anything anyway, and you could do damage conducting the test.

So install the subpanel, close to the main panel. I'd recommend buying a large subpanel. This will allow you to move other circuits over as you wish. Eventually maybe you can move them all over.

Old 04-27-05, 11:08 AM
So could I technically use the 40pos panel John Nelson mentioned as a subpanel and once money isn't as big of a problem slowly move circuits to the new panel?

So many different things to consider, my eyes are opened now..