1960's Push Button Light Switch

Old 04-24-05, 11:35 AM
rascal_scamp
Visiting Guest
1960's Push Button Light Switch

Greetings,

Is anyone familiar with a rectangular push button style light switch? I'm going to close tomorrow on a house built in 1964 which is still equipped with a large number of these switches. They fit within a normal toggle style face plate. I wouldn't mind changing the few switches that have been replaced with the original style if possible.

Any help would be appreciated but I doubt they are still being manufactured. I'll take one out tomorrow and see who manufactured them and call around to local salvage yards if all else fails.

Thanks!

-RC

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-05, 05:35 PM
Reminds me of low-voltage lighting controls. Do you here a click in the attic or basement when you operate the push button switch?

Old 04-25-05, 12:55 AM
Hi
Remainds me also of REMCO low voltage systems.
They would used thermostat wire in the electrical box.
and the trasformer was connected to the light box.
Tell us what kind of wire are connected to the switch

would help alot might be old pushbottom switch

cheers

pg

Old 04-25-05, 02:41 AM
We had some of these in my house when I was growing up. Definitely ours were not low voltage, they fit the exact same faceplate as the standard toggle switch but were push once for on, push again for off. I think they may also have been illuminated...

Old 04-25-05, 04:44 AM
It is possible that this is a "PresSwitch" that was (still is?) manufactured by Hubbell. I have a few of these in my garage. I have the original box that they came in & this is the information printed on it:
Single Pole, a.c. PresSwitch with feed-thru terminal, 20AMP - 120-277 volt, Cat. No. HBL1281-I, Harvey Hubbell, Inc.

Last edited by Rainbird; 04-26-05 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-05-05, 10:41 AM
rascal_scamp
Visiting Guest
Hey! Thanks for the replies. I've been busy moving and haven't had a chance to check the forum. I've looked at the switch and it is a Rodale and is a regular 110v switch. I'm glad to hear of the Hubbell as it gives me hope for an alternative. The switch is silent, meaning there is no audible *click*. Is that the same for the Hubbell, Rainbird? (if you're out there still) Additionally, the Hubbell is rated 5 amps higher.

I guess my next project (besides ridding my trees of ball moss) is to add a ground to the receptacles. Having my arm brush against the computer while screwing in the cable modem resulted in an unpleasant buzz. ahhh... the joys of home ownership!

....psst, Rainbird... would you like me to help clean up your garage by getting rid of a few of those old switches =)

Thanks!

-RC

_

Old 05-06-05, 08:48 AM
Sorry, the few Hubbel I have in the garage are actually installed. Looking them up on the Hubbel website I see they are still manufactured. The Presswitch I have installed (15 years ago) is NOT silent and small audible click is heard.

Old 08-26-05, 12:42 PM
Edge
Visiting Guest
Not sure if you're subscribed to this thread or not, but if so, and you're still looking for push-button switches, try Rejuvination.com

Here's the link

Good luck!