Smoke Detectors

Old 04-24-05, 01:43 PM
Smoke Detectors

Do 120 volt smoke detectors have to be on their own circuit, or can they be wired into any convenient lighting circuit?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-05, 02:15 PM
They must not be on their own circuit. This prevents someone from disabling them by turning off the breaker. It also kills something else they would want on.

Old 04-24-05, 02:18 PM
Just to clarify, I'll note that Joe's comment is advice, not requirement (at least not in most places in the U.S.). However, it's really good advice.

Old 04-24-05, 02:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There is nothing in the NEC to address this.
From a building code standpoint I have heard both methods. Some areas require a dedicated circuit, some prohibit it and require them to be on a local branch circuit, some have no distinction at all and make it a field decision.

Also very varied in application is the requirement for AFCI's. If your area is under a code cycle or local ammendment which requires all outlets in bedrooms to be AFCI protected then the smokes must be as well.
While I don't agree with this requirement many areas do enforce it. Mine does not.

Old 04-24-05, 02:22 PM
Yeah I agree, thats very good advice. Something that I hadn't considered. Thank you.

Old 04-24-05, 04:11 PM
Most of the jurisdictions in my area require them to be:

1) on an AFCI protected circuit
2) interconnected (all of the inspectors call it wiring them in series)

Old 04-24-05, 11:01 PM
What about location?
Do they have to above a door?

Old 04-25-05, 03:44 AM
Smoke detectors come with an excellent instruction sheet. They have a whole list of good places to put them and another whole list of bad places to put them. Make sure you read the instructions carefully. But no, they do not need to go above a door. On the ceiling or high on the wall are preferred places, but there are a lot of other guidelines in the instructions.

Old 04-25-05, 07:36 AM
OK, didn't know that. I just figured the location would have been code.
Guess I need to buy one to read the instructions...back to HD.

Thanks John.

Old 04-25-05, 07:56 AM
Make sure that you follow the instructions. The wrong location makes for a useless detector.

Old 04-25-05, 03:15 PM
The location is not specified in the electrcial code. It is part of the fire or building code.

Old 04-29-05, 09:58 AM
TomT
Visiting Guest
For fastest response, best place is on ceiling away from air registers and ceiling fans. If you mount them on a wall, make sure it is at least 4 inches from ceiling and stay away from corners. There is a void space in those areas that will significantly delay the detector.

Old 04-30-05, 03:28 PM
True.

But the detector on the wall can't be more than 12-inches down from the ceiling either.

Ceiling mounted detectors must be at least 4-inches away from the corner where the wall meets the ceiling. That is the dead space area referred to earlier.