Generator questions

Old 04-25-05, 12:58 AM
Question Generator questions

I'm in the market for a generator, There are a lot of them out there. I need one to run your basic power tools (drills, miter saw, skill saw) and a small air compressor. I'm looking for something that runs quiet.

There are so many sizes out there, any request on what I should get ?

Any suggestions, the good and the bad information and anything else you know about them will help me out.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-05, 01:58 AM
I had a contractor putting a roof on my new garage last year. He came by with a 5000 watt Troy Built generator that powered his compressor just fine. The generator wasn't all that noisy either.

Old 04-25-05, 04:39 AM
For a small generator there are 2 kinds that I see. One type is made to give you power, it's only function. The other kind, like troybilt, coleman,ect. gives you quieter power, they are generally made for camping. If you took the first type camping, the other campers would run you out of the site. the second type generally costs twice what the cheapo units cost, but if noise was not a factor I'd get the cheapo.

Old 04-25-05, 04:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I also like a generator with a huge gas tank; filling up every hour is bothersome. Plus if you have a power outage you can run your furnace and fridge all night long without getting up to refil. I'd also get the cheaper noisier one.

Old 04-25-05, 09:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Better generators have better motors. Better motors are ones like Honda's, B&S Vanguard, Kohler, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Robin. Better motors also have bigger, quieter mufflers.
Truly no offense intended Jedi, but Coleman is not even a consideration IMO. Most every one I've seen, with maybe the exception of the tiny caming unit, are complete junk, loud junk at that. This is just from my experience with them.

I have a 5k watt with a B&S Vanguard that is very quiet and well made. Lower end B&S units are much louder and not nearly the quality. Better motors have bearings, lower end units have bushings. This makes a BIG difference when it comes to longevity.
I also have a Makita 2800 which is as nice or nice than any Honda. Cost as much as well. The 2800 Makita was more than many cheap 6k watters.

I guess I am of the "buy quality and buy it once" school of thought.

Old 04-26-05, 04:00 AM
Originally Posted by Ron R
I'm in the market for a generator, There are a lot of them out there. I need one to run your basic power tools (drills, miter saw, skill saw) and a small air compressor. I'm looking for something that runs quiet.

There are so many sizes out there, any request on what I should get ?

Any suggestions, the good and the bad information and anything else you know about them will help me out.

Thanks
You need to first decide on a budget.
You can get cheap 3500-5000 watt generaters for as little as $200, but I wouldn't expect it to last more than a year or two with continued use.

I've got a Porter-Cable 'contractor grade' model. 6500 running watts, 12500 surge watts, 13hp Honda GX line motor (with auto decompression, electric start is an option). has 120 and 240v twistlock connectors as well as 2 120v gfci'd outlets and a 12v connection for charging batteries. 7.5 gallon tank will run it for a good 12 hours at half load, pnuematic wheel kit included (extra on most) and it has auto-idle that idles it down when it's not loaded (usefull as long as you aren't running a tv/computer or other electrically sensitve equipment without a UPS in between (not recommended when running on a generator anyway). It's also fairly quiet, considering it's size and will run pretty much anything (I used it for the whole house after Ivan).

That's the good.. the bad? it was $1700.. but it starts with the first light pull and has plenty of power. I'm going to build a fan cooled enclosure for it and wire it up for whole house use this summer (which will also quiet it down a bit) and since it's still a portable generator I can still wheel it whereever it might be needed..

Phew.. all that said.. make sure you factor in the cost of a GOOD generator cord set. They make one that uses the 120v twist lock and ends in several 'extension cord' type outlets. This lets you use one cord to get power where you need it and then split it from there, without overloading the cord.

If you wanted to make your own, you could use the 240v twistlock (if your genset has it) and use half to power the compressor, and the other half to power the other tools.

Old 12-17-06, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Better generators have better motors. Better motors are ones like Honda's, B&S Vanguard, Kohler, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Robin. Better motors also have bigger, quieter mufflers. Truly no offense intended Jedi, but Coleman is not even a consideration IMO.
Alrighty then, I know all Honda's aren't made the same (and I'm sure it's the same for the rest).

So how does one know which ones are the quietest?

And what is the quietest 5000w generators out there?