another GFCI Question!

Old 04-26-05, 06:37 AM
another GFCI Question!

How many 20A outlets can you run on 1 20A gfci?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-05, 06:42 AM
I seem to recall reading someplace that the rule of thumb is 5, but I am not sure. I don't think the Code regulates this number, but it should say on the GFCI package. Manufacturer's recommendations (and restrictions for use) ordinarily rule.

Any other takers on this one?

Juice

Old 04-26-05, 06:48 AM
Reason why I'm asking, is that I have 4 20A receptacles all wired in series attached to a gfci breaker. Everytime I put my tester in the outlet, it trips the breaker. Could I have wired up the outlets wrong? In the panel- White pigtail, in the neutral bar. Does the white from the outlets go in the neutral bar also?

Old 04-26-05, 06:54 AM
Four should be no problem at all. However, if you are using 20 amp rated receptacles, you must feed them with #12 wire and a 20 amp breaker, with no #14 wire anywhere on that circuit.

There is a GFCI tester that is supposed to trip the thing. But a regular voltage tester, to my knowledge, should not. If so, perhaps you have wired incorrectly. Make sure that all your downstream receptacles are fed off the "load" side of the GFCI, and that your power source (closest to the breaker) is terminated on the "line" side.

Hope that helps.

Juice

Old 04-26-05, 06:59 AM
I'll have to recheck my wiring. I have everything wired with 12g. Must be the wiring. I'll recheck.
Thank you