mystery breaker

Old 04-26-05, 08:16 AM
mystery breaker

I have 6 AFCI breakers in my panel, but only 5 bedrooms. I've turned off the 6th breaker and cannot seem to find anything that it goes to. I checked the wire, and it is dead when the breaker is off (so no backfeeding from somewhere).

Also, what genius thought to put the outlets AND the lighting for each bedroom on the SAME breaker? You get to work in the dark..

Is there a way to trace this wire? I have MINIMAL attic access, probably just enough to poke my head through the access hole and look around, picking out that single wire from the bunch would be near impossible from the vantage point I would have.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Here's a breakdown..
http://www.thehomeforums.com/members...reakerbox.html

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-05, 08:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hardwired smoke detectors?

Old 04-26-05, 09:03 AM
The NEC, which mandated AFCI for bedroom receptacles, lighting, and smoke detectors, made it much more likely that the lighting and receptacles in a bedroom would be put on the same circuit. If you had two back-to-back bedrooms, you might see the lighting in one bedroom on the same circuit as the receptacles in the other. Right now AFCI breakers are still fairly expensive. When the cost comes down, you'll probably see some designs you'd like better. In the meantime, use a table lamp on an extension cord from another room for work lighting.

Old 04-26-05, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by ibpooks
Hardwired smoke detectors?
I hadn't even thought of those!
That's exactly it!

Wow, they get a whole 15amp breaker right by themselves.. special ain't they!

Old 04-26-05, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Pendragon
I hadn't even thought of those!
That's exactly it!

Wow, they get a whole 15amp breaker right by themselves.. special ain't they!
I have been told that this is not a good idea because they might get turned off and you would never notice. It is recommended that smokes be on a circuit with something you would notice not working.

Old 04-27-05, 03:10 AM
Originally Posted by fredmorrison
I have been told that this is not a good idea because they might get turned off and you would never notice. It is recommended that smokes be on a circuit with something you would notice not working.
Yeah, sounds good... I didn't wire them though, and the only way to do that now would be to double tap one of the other afci breakers. Not sure there would be any harm in it (how much power can a half dozen or so smoke detectors take..) but I know it's not 'code approved' either to double tap a breaker.

Old 04-27-05, 03:50 AM
Easiest route would be to add something to that circuit that the smoke detectors are on. Maybe you need another light somewhere?