Outlet change estimate

Old 04-26-05, 09:26 AM
dennisb
Visiting Guest
Outlet change estimate

Hi, my new (to me) 1948 cape cod has many outlets that are not grounded. Also, several are reverse polarized. On top of that, there are no GFCI's in the kitchen, bathroom or basement. I've tried grounding one and after a half hour I gave up. I'm happy to toil away at this if bringing someone out is going to cost me a fortune, but if the price is reasonable, I'd rather have a pro do it.Any ideas on a range of prices to do this work? Probably would be 10-12 outlets to ground and 5-8 GFCI's installed. Is it usuallly hourly rate, or flat? If it matters, I'm in northern virginia. Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-05, 10:08 AM
Installing GFCI is easy and is commonly a DIY job. If you don't want to do it yourself, any competent handyman can do it.

Grounding outlets is not easy, and generally not cheap, and not best entrusted to a handyman, since they are many seemingly-innocent ways to make things worse and create serious hazards.

To make the best decision, it is important to recognize why you want grounding. If you just want it for personal protection, then you can let the GFCI provide that without grounding. But if you need grounding to protect sensitive electronics such as computers, then it is often best not to try to ground existing receptacles, but to have a brand new grounded circuit installed only where your electronics are.