Any ideas on this cockamamie wiring?

Old 04-26-05, 02:11 PM
saerandy
Visiting Guest
Any ideas on this cockamamie wiring?

Installing a ceiling fan in a room that doesn’t have a box on the ceiling. We installed a fan box, and ran 12ga Romex from the box in to the attic.

This room has a switch when you enter the room – it controls an outlet that is fully switched (both outlets go on-and-off with the switch). In the attic, we can clearly see the wire that drops in down the wall to power the outlet.

We turn off the breaker, cut that wire, install a junction box and run the Romex from the new fan box to this junction box. Tightly splice black to black, white to white, and ground to ground. Securely wirenut and close the junction box.

The idea here of course, if you’ve read this far is to use the switch to control the fan and the outlet, and change the speed and turn on and off the light using the fan pull chains.

Here’s the weird part: A lamp is plugged in to the switched outlet. It turns on and off okay with the wall switch. But when the lamp is on, and you cycle thru the fan speeds, the light dims along with the fan speeds. It is almost acting as if everything is wired in series, but that doesn’t make sense. . . at least to me.

Does anyone know what is going on here???

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-05, 02:51 PM
You tied into a switch loop. You cannot tie in where you did, you have no neutral wire.

Find power from another source, or decide to have the receptacle always hot.

Old 04-26-05, 03:05 PM
saerandy
Visiting Guest
Or dead, right? I was noticing in the master (where there are two switches next to each other - one for the ceiling light and one for a switched outlet) that the electrician had wired a black wire from the top of one switch to one of the bottom screws on the other switch, I couldn't figure out what he was trying to do here.

It just seems very unconventional in general. I have never seen this kind of wiring in a new (6 years old) house. Was this guy being creative, smart, or just doing things the hard way?

Old 04-26-05, 03:27 PM
Switch loops are quite common. There is nothing wrong with them.

There is no reason to make the receptacle dead. There is power to the receptacle, so just redo the wiring there to make the receptacle hot and have power running to the junction box where you wired in the run for the ceiling fan.

Old 04-27-05, 03:05 AM
While you are rewiring per racraft's advice, I'd go ahead and replace the 12-2 from the junction box to the fan with 12-3. You can then carry always hot and switched hot both to the fan/light combo, allowing you to switch the fan's light on and off at the wall switch without killing power to the fan itself.