Garage sub-panel assistance, please.

Old 04-26-05, 08:23 PM
DIYGUY05
Visiting Guest
Garage sub-panel assistance, please.

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I am working on a garage subpanel. I need to supply 220v (for welder & compressor) and 110v for lighting. I have two panels I can use (I already have them), but I don't know if I can wire them together... somehow I doubt it. I have #6 wire (r/g/b/w) of the THN type and 1" conduit as well. I'm pulling materials together, but I don't know how to use the panels I have. They are 70A SquareD service panels, but they only have two slots for single-pole breakers in each. I'd like to use one as the 220v breaker box and the other as a panel for the 110v breakers. Is this possible? The main house panel will have a 60A breaker for the #6 to the garage subpanel. However, I guess it could be two subpanels in the garage, not just one. I also don't have a grounding rod (yet) for the garage.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-05, 12:30 AM
I recommend buying a new panel that suits your needs better than what you have.

Old 04-27-05, 01:01 AM
I second Bob's recommendation. You can get a Square D 6 space, 100A main lug load center for around $15...still kind of small, but more practical than what you have. For very little more, you can get a bigger panel. Keep in mind you can use twin/tandem/piggyback breakers to save space in the panel (these are two breakers that take the space of one...completely different than a two-pole breaker which is a 220V breaker). With the panels you have, your welder and compressor would have to share a circuit, which probably is not very practical. With a bigger panel, they can be separate. Besides, your gonna want more circuits some day as your tool collection and power needs grow.

You can always sell those panels on ebay.

Old 04-27-05, 01:08 AM
I third Bob's Suggestion....far easier to just go to Lowes or Home Depot and guy a new 100A panel with 8-16 slots and do all you need to be done. Get the one with the Main Breaker in it and you are all set....

Sounds like that 70A is a disconnect...anyway I would go Bob's route and make sure you size the wire correctly for the 100A service.

Old 04-27-05, 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by ElectricalMan
I third Bob's Suggestion....far easier to just go to Lowes or Home Depot and guy a new 100A panel with 8-16 slots and do all you need to be done. Get the one with the Main Breaker in it and you are all set....

Sounds like that 70A is a disconnect...anyway I would go Bob's route and make sure you size the wire correctly for the 100A service.

Why would he need to get one with a main breaker in it? A main lug box is much cheaper. The breaker he feeds with will take that role. Since he already has a 60A breaker and #6 wire to feed it with, he'll probably want to just use it as a 60A panel. If he wants a main breaker in it, its still cheaper to go with a main lug, and backfeed it using a plain 60A breaker.

Comments?

Old 04-27-05, 04:40 AM
attached or detached garage?

In Washington state, a main disconnect is required for a subpanel in, or on, a detached building, structure, etc. Just an FYI for DIY'ers in Washington state.

Last edited by thinman; 04-27-05 at 05:16 AM.