Lights dimmed

Old 04-27-05, 12:58 AM
Lights dimmed

Hi
I'm not sure whats going on.
It stated a couple of weeks ago, the lights dimmed in the house.
My electrical panel is in my workshop and i build cabinets and furniture.
There's lots of dust and i clean the place everyday.
I tough it was the frige when it started the light would dimmed but not the whole house.
Could it be my panel is dusty or some loose wire from the buzz bar or could it be a breaker problem.

Thank you

pg

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-05, 10:02 AM
You may have a loose neutral wire in your panel, meter,service line or transformer.
Loose breaker.

Don't let this go on, some 120 volt appliances can be damaged, they can get 240 volts without the neutral connection.
Ask a neighbor that's on the same transformer if they are having the same problem, Then call your power company to check your wires. have then pull the meter and check the connections.

Old 04-28-05, 12:54 AM
thank you will do

Old 04-28-05, 01:47 AM
If _all_ of the lights dimmed in your house, then it is likely _not_ a neutral problem. _Some_ lights going dim, but others getting _brighter_ is a classic symptom of a bad neutral. _Some_ lights going dim but others staying the same is a symptom of a loose connection or excessive voltage drop on an individual branch circuit. About half the lights in your house getting dim, but the rest staying the same is a symptom of a bad 'hot' connection in your supply. _All_ of the lights going dim for a moment suggests some large load being started, possibly not even in your house but 'somewhere'. _All_ of the lights going dim and staying dim suggests a supply problem on the power company side of things, possibly at the transformer or upstream from that.

Remember that some small amount of variation in supply voltage is normal and expected.

-Jon

Old 04-29-05, 12:56 AM
Bad Wire

hi
I check my panel and breaker there are all fine.
Call the electrical company and they came over and check.
There a bad wire underground.
they will make repair
thanks alot guys..

pg