electrical box options

Old 04-27-05, 04:26 PM
electrical box options

Hi,

I currently have a vanity light in the washroom (on the wall). The wires go directly to the light and the light is fixed to the studs (no lectrical box at all).

I want to change the light, but the new model requires a box in the wall (because this one can't be screwed directly to the studs.... must fasten to a box). My question is: does it matter if I use a standard (round) light box, or can I use a rectangular switch box?

The reason I want to use a rectangular switch box is because where the box needs to go (for the light to be centered, etc....) there is a vent pipe taking up some room (It runs parallel to the stud with a spacing of about 2.5 inches). I can't fit a round box in the provided space, but I think I could get away with a rectangular switch box. But I don't want to do something that's against code or dangerous.

Thanks!

Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-05, 04:45 PM
does it matter if I use a standard (round) light box, or can I use a rectangular switch box?
Doesn't really matter. A round box is slightly more typical for lighting fixtures, but most fixtures are designed to be mounted on either.

Old 04-27-05, 04:53 PM
What your saying was a common installation in Knob and tube wiring.
Do you feel confident in describing your wiring?
Can you recognise romex?
The advice is similar but not the same.

Old 04-27-05, 04:53 PM
It's not against code or anything is it?

Does Reply #3 apply to this message or is it an error?? Cause I don't have a clud what he's saying.

Thanks for the fast reply!

Old 04-27-05, 04:57 PM
I forgot to ask also:

The house is brand-new, built that way.... Is it OK that the electrician who did the work didn't install a box? I was under the impression that any light, switch or receptacle HAD to be installed with a box. What are the rules on this?

Old 04-27-05, 05:07 PM
Bathroom vanity lights are commonly installed without a box. The fixture provides a wiring compartment inside the fixture (which takes the place of the box), so no splices are made in the wall.