Advice Please

Old 04-28-05, 09:25 AM
apples
Visiting Guest
Advice Please

Hi all, i've just signed up so be gentle.

The query i have is, i'm resident in the UK, and have just purchased a salon sunbed for home use, now this sunbed works on 3 phase electric, will it be expensive to run this into the fuse box some how??

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-05, 10:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you really sure it uses 3 phase? It seems unlikely that a tanning bed would need 3 phase. What it may require is single phase at a voltage typically derived from 3 phase, like 208V.

If that truly is the case, it's probably not possible for the power company to install at a residence for technical (and maybe legal) reasons; but if it was it would be very, very expensive. I would suggest finding a different sunbed.

Old 04-29-05, 08:00 AM
apples
Visiting Guest
Oh no don't say that, i've already bought it and was told it's 3 phase, i looked at the main power lead coming from the back of the bed and it's a thick black wire with 6 wires inside, is this 3 phase, if so would a generator not do it?

Old 04-29-05, 08:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like it is actually a 3 phase unit. Have you tried contacting the manufacuter to see if it can be wired for single phase? Some devices are convertible.

There are three phase generators, but like all 3 phase gear they are expensive. In the U.S., small ones (13 kW) are about $4,000; probably not an option.

There are other devices called "Static Phase Converters" that can convert single-phase residential power to 3 phase power. I'm not entirely sure about the details for a unit in the U.K., but this really wouldn't be a DIY job anyway. You would need an electrician to properly plan and install such a beast.

Question to someone more knowledgable: Would a static phase converter even work for a non-motor load? I've only ever heard of them used for motors.

Old 04-29-05, 08:42 AM
apples
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply mate, what i'll have to do is somehow try to build it back together, then see what an electrician has to say, and if it's too expensive sell it on again.