How to wire difficult access chandelier

Old 04-29-05, 09:44 AM
TomT
Visiting Guest
How to wire difficult access chandelier

Need to wire chandelier in very tall (20') entry-way ceiling only accessible from attic. My idea is to hook a cable to it so that it may be lowered and raised periodically for cleaning and changing bulbs. Has anyone ever done such a thing?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-05, 10:47 AM
There're these products, but they're pretty expensive:

http://www.wilshiremfg.com/lift.html

http://www.lightnleisure.com/Product...ddin_page1.asp

I'd be wary of a home-brewed solution for this, a chandelier falling from a foyer ceiling could kill someone...

Old 04-30-05, 09:52 AM
Those motorized lifts are so over the top. I'll bet half the owners show 'em off to every guest.

But your idea, TomT, sounds good to me so long as you use a basically indestructible power cable very very well clamped to a bracket, that the chandelier hangs off. I would use a TECK cable here, to carry both weight and power. In the attic, weight would normally be supported by the bracket, not the cable.

You don't want this operated from the floor below do you?

Old 05-02-05, 11:12 AM
TomT
Visiting Guest
I'm using the term chandelier loosely. It's not going to be anything real heavy. Just a light fixture on a chain. I want to be able to lift and lower this from the attic. I figure if a cable holds all the weight then I could use some heavy zip cord and just tie wrap it to the cable. I would install an outlet (that was powered by switches in hallway) in the attic and just plug it in.

Old 05-03-05, 01:27 PM
You know what you're doing.

It being on a plug might even get it past inspection.