Please help

Old 05-02-05, 02:00 PM
tammylynn
Visiting Guest
Please help

I initially thought that the fridge had gone out but discovered that it worked fine plugged into another outlet. The outlet would operate a clock radio but not the fridge. I replaced the outlet, it still did the same thing. I replaced the breaker, it still does the same thing. It is at the end of the circuit and the outlet just before it appears to be working fine, where fridge is plugged in now. What else should I try to fix this?

Old 05-02-05, 02:04 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I suspect you have a loose connection, either in the last box (where the refrigerator does not work) or the second-to-last box (where the refrigerator does work). Check the wiring in both boxes. Move all backstab connections (wire poked into a hole) to the adjacent screw. Be sure to turn off the breaker before doing anything.

Old 05-02-05, 03:00 PM
tammylynn
Visiting Guest
Please help continued

I checked those and everything is snuggly connected. Would it be in the wiring in between, in the wall?

Old 05-02-05, 03:50 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A slim chance it could be the fridge wiring or fridge cord. Do you have a higher wattage appliance you can plug in to this outlet? Such as a 1500W portable space heater or whatever. See if that works.
If it doesn't, don't leave it turned on for very long! Somewhere it could be getting hot!
My next guess would be there is something wrong with the outlet BEFORE this outlet.
SteveS

Old 05-02-05, 04:24 PM
tammylynn
Visiting Guest
please help continuing

Would a dishwasher work for that purpose? It does not work in that outlet either. The outlet before it is currently operating both the fridge and dishwasher now but really need that other outlet.

Old 05-02-05, 04:26 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How did you judge snugly? Did you move the backstabs? All of them in both boxes?

I'd recommend a hairdryer or vacuum cleaner for Skramy's test.

Old 05-02-05, 06:29 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1. Does the fridge work on BOTH the top & bottom outlets of the last working receptacle?
2. If you have a a/c volt meter, check voltage between the hot & neutral (black & white) and also between hot and ground (black & bare ground) of last working recpt. Should both be 120V.
3. There is a small tab between the screw terminals on a receptacle. It's made to be broken in certain situations. One of these tabs may be broken or damaged on the last working receptacle. Then, there wound be no 'hot' or 'neutral' to the 'dead' receptacle. Or, if barely touching it may power a radio. I'd replace the last working receptacle.
4. Be careful.
SteveS

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: