New 220 outlet (Honey do you smell smoke)

Old 04-29-05, 02:19 PM
Question New 220 outlet (Honey do you smell smoke)

Just a dumb question. Can more than one 220 outlet be installed in line. I have a 220 line that runs from the breaker box to the garage. I need to install another 220 line for an 80 gal air compressor. The new 220 line will follow the same line as the existing 220 so I started thinking hmmmmmmmm can I branch off the existing line (like the 110 lines do) and add a junction box to add a 220 outlet for the compressor. I think the answer is NO, but.....
The 220 to the garage is rarely used, it's a plug for a kiln that has been used once in 4 years, but the wife says it has to stay.

DIYJohn
"Honey, do you smell smoke"

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-05, 02:25 PM
Unlike most 120-volt circuits, 240-volt circuits are not general-purpose. Most 240-volt circuits are designed spefically for the needs of one appliance. In theory you can have multiple 240-volt outlets on one circuit, but it is rarely done because the electrical requirements of any two 240-volt appliances are not likely to be the same. But if yours are, go ahead.

Old 04-29-05, 05:31 PM
Also, make sure your existing circuit breaker is not too big for the amperage rating of your of the new recepatacle for the compressor.

Old 04-29-05, 06:55 PM
Sections of code that may apply to this include:

210.6 which specifies some maximum voltages for specific loads. In particular loads under 1440 watts in dwellings, etc, are limited to 120 volts, and the voltage to luminaires is limited in various ways.

210.23 which describes limitations on use of circuits with multiple outlets based not on the voltage, but on the amperage. The reason this applies to the current rating of the circuit is that the usage pattern that would be affected by multiple outlets affects the total amps used. For example cooking appliances are more readily accepted on large multi outlet circuits because of the greater load diversity that exists since they are generally no an "all on" or "all off" situation.

So the big issue is what is the current rating of this circuit? If it is 40 or 50 amps, 210.23(C) might be a problem.