Service Panel full

Old 04-30-05, 10:59 AM
pat.v
Visiting Guest
Service Panel full

I have a 16 slot Murray 100 amp service panel that is full. Two slots are taken up by a 100 amp breaker protecting a sub-panel in another building. I want to put a second sub-panel adjacent to the service panel to allow use of a 50 amp welder and potential future circuits. MY problem is that the two large screw-downs on the neutral are full. One by the neutral of the sub-panel leading to the other room and the other (also looks like a #2 awg) disappearing into my attic. I confess I haven't traced it. If I add another sub-panel with a #2 feeder, is there anyway to attach the neutral? The hots will obviously tie into a 220 breaker that will need to replace two circuit slots already in use. I expect I would run those removed circuits off the adjacent sub-panel. I'm trying to avoid a whole new service panel. Can two neutrals be screwed down under the same large block?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-05, 11:10 AM
Buy an add-on neutral lug for your panel.

Old 05-01-05, 02:10 AM
hmmm.....a loaded 100A panel and you already have a sub to it and then you want another sub on a 100A panel for a 50A welder....hmmm...I would say in my humble opinion I just upgrade to a 200A panel.....

Post what you already have in your 100A panel.......I hate the idea of just saying...add another main lug panel when the service needs to be sized to handle all the items that are added....can the 100A panel handle it and is it sized for it....

Old 05-01-05, 11:05 AM
pat.v
Visiting Guest
House is 2000 SF, Woodworking shop 1000 SF (with 100 amp sub-panel), 16 slot service panel has: 220 circuits: Main, 20 amp spa pump, 40amp stove, 30amp dryer and 100amp for wood shop, 110 circuits: occupying 6 remaining slots are all tandem breakers supplying main house with 12 circuits for lights and wall plugs divided fairly evenly. Thanks for your responses. If you guys say new 200amp service that's what it'll be.

Old 05-01-05, 12:34 PM
Google "demand load calculation". Do the math. I'll bet it'll tell you that 100 amps is insufficient.

Old 05-02-05, 12:51 AM
Yeppers.......I concure...lol