12/2 and 14/2

Old 05-01-05, 09:18 AM
gsiciliano
Visiting Guest
12/2 and 14/2

Situation: I have 14/2 wire running from the panel to a junction box on the side of the house. Then I have a 14/2 wire in a buried conduit to power my pool motor.

I now am refinishing the basement and have the opportunity to rerun 12/2 to the junction box and replace the breaker to 20AMP. I will not be able to replace the 14/2 from the junction box to the pool at this time. Is it okay to run 12/2 to the junction box and then 14/2 to the pool??

Old 05-01-05, 09:24 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It is okay to run 12/2 to the junction box if you want, but that still will not allow you to replace the breaker with a 20-amp breaker. If that 14/2 in buried conduit is NM-B, then you might as well dig it up and replace it with 12/2 UF-B because it is going to fail sooner or later.

Old 05-01-05, 09:24 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
In general you can have 12 gage wire from the panel and then 14 gage wire later in the circuit, as long as the breaker is only a 15 amp breaker.

However, you should not have 14-2 wire inside conduit except for short runs for protection, and never for a pool.

Your existing pool wiring is wrong for many reasons. I recommend that you fix this sooner, rather than later.

Old 05-01-05, 09:41 AM
gsiciliano
Visiting Guest
Sounds to me that I need to replace the outside wire to 12/2. This pool wire has been in place 15 years without any problem. My intention to replace the wire to the junction box was to have the ability to add a few lights off the same circuit. Is this a problem?

Old 05-01-05, 09:50 AM
J
I don't understand why adding a few lights would require you to replace the wire to the junction box. If you have the ability to replace the wire from the panel to the junction box, why not just add a new circuit? That solution would be 100 times better.

Old 05-01-05, 09:55 AM
gsiciliano
Visiting Guest
John want to make sure I follow. Are you saying to have a dedicated circuit for the pool (replace the buried 14/2 to 12/2, the replace the breaker to 20AMP) and then a seperate circuit for additional lights.

Old 05-01-05, 10:03 AM
R
You cannot use 12-2 for a pool, once you get outside the house. For a pool circuit you need individual conductors outside the house, in conduit. You also need a dedicated circuit for a pool, and it must be GFCI protected.

You can run 12-2 (or larger) inside the house, but once you get outside the house you must have individual conductors with a shielded ground wire.

Old 05-01-05, 10:10 AM
J
Pool wiring has a lot of specific codes, and Canadian code is different from U.S. code, and Ontario code is another thing all together. I do not have a copy of the Ontario code, so I cannot comment on the specifics. There are a number of Canadians who post here who might be able to provide more help. I strongly suggest you add your location to your profile, or you will get a lot of inappropriate advice.

Old 05-01-05, 10:13 AM
gsiciliano
Visiting Guest
Bob what is the difference between the wiring you are talking about and the 12/2 UF-B John reference earlier in the thread.

Thx I am aware of the GCFI, but not aware of the dedicated circuit. Sounds like overkill for a 3/4HP motor??

Old 05-01-05, 10:28 AM
There are 2 issues here. Issue one is using 14g wire with a 20amp circuit, it shouldn't be done for any reason. 12g wire is required for a 20amp circuit. I do not like mixing wire within a circuit either. Someone could mistakenly think the whole circuit is 12g wire and assume its ok for a 20amp breaker. Its a lazy mistake, since it means they didn't check the rest of the circuit, but it happens. Then there is the pool issue, which i have never messed with, so let someone else explain that one.

Old 05-01-05, 10:48 AM
R
I didn't catch that you were from Canada. I am not familiar with Canadian pol requirements.

In the US you cannot use cable for a pool once you get outside the house. You must use individual wires inside conduit. 12-2 is cable, an assembled product that includes three wires, two insulated and one not insulated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: