Residential Electrical Code

Old 05-02-05, 08:12 PM
Question Residential Electrical Code

I am in the process of a remodel on my home. I have added 8' to the entire back side of my home. The home was built in 1946 but the old fuse panel has been replaced with a breaker panel.

I am going to be adding and/or replacing some of the wiring from the breaker panel to end locations. Is it up to code to run wires under the floor? If not what is the code?

Also, I will be adding outlets, at what height from the floor should outlets be placed to meet code? Is there also a code requirement for light switches?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-05, 12:30 AM
What do you mean by "under the floor"?

There is no code requirement as to the height of the receptacles or switches, at least as far as what you are asking. Many people use a distance of 12 to 16 inches off the floor for receptacles and 42 to 48 iches for switches. You may want to match the other rooms of the house.

There are requirements for distances between recepacles. Without going into details, you need a receptacle within six feet of every door, with no more than 12 feet between receptacles. However, those numbers are minimum, you probably want to exceed those numbers.

Old 05-03-05, 01:22 AM
If you have a crawl space (most common here) you can staple the cable to the underside of the joists, if you have a unfinished basement you must drill holes through the joists for the smaller cables such as 14 & 12 ga.

Old 05-03-05, 06:52 AM
A running board may be used to protect the cable instead of drilling if you prefer. A running board is usually anything 1x2 or larger.

Old 05-03-05, 09:21 AM
assemblage
Visiting Guest
My electrical inspecter also said that in the attic, the wires must be protected if they are within 6' of the entrance. He said that a board can be used if within that 6'.

I think the code also says the wire has to be secured every 4 1/2'. I'm using plastic things with a brad in each side from Lowes. I'm stapling more than every 4.5' though usually just so it looks nicer. I think it also said within 16" of a hole.

Old 05-03-05, 01:18 PM
By under the floor I mean in the crawl space. I would like to run wires across floor joists and along the base just above the foundation. Is it ok to staple to the joists or should I drill holes for wire pass-through?

Old 05-03-05, 01:34 PM
When you run parallel to the joists you may staple to the sides, but to go perpendicular to the joists you need to drill holes and pass through or use a running board.

Old 05-04-05, 04:30 AM
In a crawl space we staple to the bottom of the joists, The catch phrase here is subject to damage. I say it's not, but in an unfinished basement it is. Just as in the attic, nm should be protected from damage within 6 ft of the entrance only if the attic is not accessible by permanent stairs or ladders. If it's just a scuttle hole, the 6 ft rule applies, if you've got folding stairs then the nm should be protected through all accesible areas of the attic.