What to do w/unused 220 wiring?

Old 05-04-05, 04:16 AM
annabanana
Visiting Guest
What to do w/unused 220 wiring?

Hi!

We removed a jennair stovetop and cabinet from our covered patio last weekend. It was hard-wired with 220 dedicated connection from our outside main breaker box. We have the breaker shut off now and the wires capped, but I still have a 2ft long black wire hanging out of the wall and a 3 yr old who thinks it's quite interesting. I am nervous about the wiring, we don't need it, and I am fearful that the breaker could accidentally be turned on and leave hot wires not far from my pool - bad combination!

What are my alternatives to make this go away? Do I need an electrician or is this something we can do ourselves?

Thanks!
Annabanana

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-05, 05:03 AM
hi
I would remove it.
220 could Zap you good
I would all an electrician and remove it.
you could do it if you fell your confortable at it.
but better be safe than sorry, get a pro to do it. should not be to expensive

good luck

pg

Old 05-04-05, 05:10 AM
Disconnect the wires from the breaker. The two hot wires will be attached to the breaker inside the panel. The neutral (if there is one) and the ground will be attached to the neutral and ground bars (which may be the same bar).

Working inside a panel can be intimidating, so if this concerns you then bring in someone to do it.

Old 05-08-05, 02:03 PM
Unused 220V convert to 120V?

On a related topic, I am expecting delivery of my new gas range to replace our old 220V unit. Since the gas range needs a 110V outlet, is there a way to use only 2 of the three 220V wires to create a 110V outlet? This way, instead of disabling the 220V, and installing a 110V, I can simply use the 220V.

Actually while writing this, I guess I can disconnect the 220V in the breaker box, then simply hook up the black and white wires to a 110 Breaker. (leaving the red unused). But if there's a more conventional way, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks
Gary

Old 05-08-05, 06:17 PM
pdmedic
Visiting Guest
I just recently removed a 220 stove top in my kitchen and replaced it with gas which required a 110 I split the legs using the black and white for the 110 outlet for the stove and used the red and white (with a pigtail) to add a additional circuit for a dishwasher, replaced the 220 breaker with two 110 breakers and no problems at all.

Old 05-08-05, 07:23 PM
That is safely possible only in a small fraction of homes. Most range circuits wired prior to 1996 do not have separate neutral and grounding wires, and thus cannot be safely or legally split into separate circuits.