Frigidaire rangetop wiring

Old 05-01-05, 02:25 PM
pepeat
Visiting Guest
Frigidaire rangetop wiring

I'm doing a kitchen reno - my old range top has a shilded wire with six wires in it hoohed up to range top controls - my problem is how to hook up 12/3 wire to those six wires. I know - I should have paid attention when I ripped out the old wiring.... I don't have a schematic for it.

Frigidaire by General Electric
Model BRW 100 CCH if somebody can help me.

Thanks

Old 05-02-05, 01:46 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tell us the color of the wires you are dealing with and are these wires simply coming out of the end of the shielded cable....

Also since you pulled the other out...is their a junction box behind it on the wall for the shielded cable.....the one it should have come out of..

I am sure others will chime in here to assist you....but need those colors you are dealing with....

If I had to guess.......(2) blacks (2) Reds and (1) White and (1) Green ...unless it is using the shielded cable for that....depends on the age of the unt I guess......lol

Old 05-02-05, 08:17 AM
pepeat
Visiting Guest
Smile frigidaire rangetop wiring

Yes, the shielded cable was connected to the service from a junction box - but it was removed by the electrician when we rewired the house.

There are 2 blacks, 2 reds, and 2 whites in the shielded wire which is still connected to the range. I think, as you do, that the shielding is the ground (green) All the stove top elements are grounded to the range main frame.

My thought is to simply connect red to red - white to white - and black to black and ensure ground continuity.

Your thoughts and advice are much appreciated.

Thanks for your quick response.

Old 05-02-05, 08:45 AM
R
What kind of a range top is this?

Old 05-02-05, 08:55 AM
T
Originally Posted by pepeat
I'm doing a kitchen reno - my old range top has a shilded wire with six wires in it hoohed up to range top controls - my problem is how to hook up 12/3 wire to those six wires. I know - I should have paid attention when I ripped out the old wiring.... I don't have a schematic for it.

Frigidaire by General Electric
Model BRW 100 CCH if somebody can help me.

Thanks
Maybe this will help.

http://www.geappliances.ca/images/en...s/31-10602.pdf

Old 05-02-05, 09:04 AM
R
pepeat,

Sounds like you need a lot more than 12 gage wire for this little project.

Old 05-02-05, 10:08 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
This is an electric range?!?!

12/3 isn't going to cut it, not by a long shot.

Old 05-04-05, 07:37 PM
pepeat
Visiting Guest
Smile Frigidaire rangetop wiring

Thanks a bunch guys! Once I figure out the colors on these old asbestos wires I managed to figure things out and everything works just fine - except for a worn out element I have on order. I guess they don't make too many of these old 3 wire elements any more. $95 - Yikes!

If being old means it's worth more - why ain't I rich!!? LOL

Old 05-04-05, 08:30 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Not everything that works is safe. Be careful.

Old 05-05-05, 05:55 AM
heck yeah.........12 AWG is not the right size fella.....My fear was you saw the wire in the shielded cable to the stovetop as possibly being # 12 in Parallel which they did alot in the old units which is factory wiring....but that does not mean you run 12 AWG to the unit......

The unit ( even if old ) should tell you on it the supply line needed but I can tell you unless the sucker is a Tyco Kids Play Cooker...lol...you will need more than a 12/3 for it........

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: