How to attach a 200 amp svc panel to a meter

Old 05-04-05, 12:27 PM
How to attach a 200 amp svc panel to a meter

We're built an addition to our house and it failed the electrical portion of the final inspection because we have 2 separate meters (one to the front portion the other to the back addition) and the county will only allow one meter. Of course nothing was ever mentioned upon submitting drawings or any of the intermediate inspections but in any case the question becomes:

We have a 200 amp service panel which controls the front portion of the house, we have a separate 200 amp service panel which controls the back addition. Since we can have only one meter:
a) Is is possible to have 2 200 amp service panels running off a single meter?
b) If so, how would I connect the 200 amp service panel from the front portion to the meter in the back addition?

I've done just about everything with electrical wiring/breakers/etc. I just haven't done this particular task before and I'm not hip to a lot of the lingo/terminology used,

I appreciate any suggestions,

tks,

-MC

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-05, 01:12 PM
Available is a single out-door enclosure rated at 400 amps and is equipped with Main Lugs, a single meter-socket, and two 200 amp Circuit-Breakers.

Any customer-provided metering equiptment must satsify local Utilty requirements.

Two seperate C-B's can serve as the Service Dic-connecting Means.

The conductors between the Load-side of the exterior C-B's and the Line-side of the interior breaker-panels are classified as "Feeder-Conductors"-- this leads to certain Equiptment Grounding-Conductor connections at the interior C-C panels.

Also, the connections for the Grounding Electrode Conductor whch is between the "primary" Grounding Electrode and the Neutral Service Conductor must be Code-compliant

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-04-05, 01:34 PM
thanks for the info, can I ask a few clarifications?

"Available is a single out-door enclosure rated at 400 amps and is equipped with Main Lugs, a single meter-socket, and two 200 amp Circuit-Breakers."

MC: Is this a separate piece of equipment that works in unison with the meter?

"Two seperate C-B's can serve as the Service Dic-connecting Means."

MC: What are "C-B"s? and what is the "Service Dic-connecting Means"?

"The conductors between the Load-side of the exterior C-B's and the Line-side of the interior breaker-panels are classified as "Feeder-Conductors"-- this leads to certain Equiptment Grounding-Conductor connections at the interior C-C panels."

This is looking less like a "run a trunk of wires from a service panel and stick it into a meter" project and more like a "20 different parts and connections" type project, maybe a better question would be "how much could I expect to pay an electrician to do this?"

tks,

-MC

Old 05-04-05, 01:35 PM
lol.....Are you typing in code PATTBAA ( just teasing )

Here is what I would do if it is an option.

1.) Yes, you can get a 400A meter can to go where the additional is located as they will only have to redo the supply.

2.) As PATT said you can then run from the meter can to the front panel which can be main lug if you have a disconnect at the meter location or inside a combo unit as PATTBAA describes.

Personally.....if possible I would upgrade the meter cab to allow 400A if needed by the power company and feed the back of the panel in the addition and then out of the meter can hit a 200A disconnect and then run a new line ( 4/0 SER for example or PVC if you wish and pull feed new wire- 4 wires..keep that in mind..... ) and then feed the panel in the front....no need for a mainlug their...why change what you have....just reuse the panel in the front if it is 200A....why scrap what you already have so to speak....

The key is getting the Utility to run a new line and supply a new 400A meter cab.....has to be a nice size house to need 400A service.....anyway the above is an option...

Yeppers....if you can find a combo meter cab and main breaker disconnect combo....for (2) 200 A breakers then you are all set....do one back to back and the other pipe to it or you may be able to get away with 4/0 SER up into the attic or under the house and feed the front panel....

You can also switch that if you wish....but who wants a HUGE meter cab on the front of the house.....

Good luck....keep in mind the neutrals and seperate bus in the sub panel and so on......let us know how it goes for ya...

Old 05-04-05, 04:31 PM
I see houses with 2 or more meters all the time. But I guess your plan wasn't making the addition be a separate residence you can lease out to someone else who would pay separate for electricity. A friend of mine once bought a duplex and knocked out doors (1 upstairs, 2 downstairs) between the two halves, but left the electrical separate and just paid two bills while living in both.

My real question is, do you really need more than 200 amps now? If the house is all electric, that could well be the case. But I would not go with a 400 amp panel; I'd feed the two 200 amps panels from the one meter. The 400 amp panels are expensive, and limit you to 42 spaces. At least with two 200 amp panels you can have more branch circuits.

The 400 amp meter/breaker combinations are also expensive. The lowest price one from Square-D is listed over $2500, and that's before you add on a pair of QBL breakers at over $300 each. These are not likely the kinds of things carried at the discount home improvement stores.

Old 05-05-05, 05:13 AM
Yeppers....Thats why I say this route is cheaper...

1.) Contact the UTL about a 400 Meter Cab...probably will supply it FREE

2.) Put it where the back panel is and have it replace the 200A meter cab that is their that probably butts up to the 200A panel...

3.) Now come out of the meter cab and hit a 200A disconnect (weatherproof )

4.) From the 200A disconnect....feed to panel in the front and no need to replace the main breaker with a main lug panel...use what you already have as no need to waste it.....

We do this all the time in VA.....now you may have to cut some walls ro so on to get access to the front panel......and so on but getting the 4/0 SER to the front panel can be done and then you can simply get rid of the meter in the front.....

Just make sure you follow the grounding and bonding requirements for panels like this...in that you need to ground it and so on from the 200A disconnect that feeds the front panel you are running the SER to.....and make sure you use 4/0 SER to the front one...

The back panel at the addition should be fine.....Make sure you tie the systems grounding together......you should be fine....

Trust me...this way is more cost effective than a 400A combo system as someone already stated.....you can get a 200A disc. for about $ 225.00 and SER will run you about 2.45 a ft.....should be no problem.

Last edited by ElectricalMan; 05-05-05 at 05:14 AM. Reason: hit the submit button before I was done...lol