Correct wire size for central vac

Old 05-05-05, 03:03 AM
Correct wire size for central vac

Hi,
I am roughing in for a central vac system and want to make sure that the wire size is sufficient. The unit will be 240 on the voltage and 10.7 max amps. . It will be sitting in the basement and the run will be about 40 feet away from the main panel. I was going to run 12 gauge and wanted to double check this will be sufficient. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-05, 04:19 AM
One,

That should be fine......I am hoping you are talking about the electrical plug and not the wire run to each recep. port that you plug the hose into as that does not need to be 12 AWG.....that usualy is between 14 and 18 stranded...and usually comes in a 2 wire roll......kinda like extention cord wire.

However, if you are talking about the electrical plug supply to the equipment then a 20A circuit is all you should need so 12 AWG is fine.

Old 05-05-05, 04:30 AM
12 gage wire should be fine. However, what you really need to do is to examine the central vacuum system. It will tell you the proper circuit size, which is probably 20 amp in this case. You then base your wire size on the circuit size and the length of the run.

Old 05-05-05, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the input, I ran the 12 gauge from the panel to where the unit is going to be hung in the basement.