Where to place the receptacle?

Old 05-05-05, 09:00 AM
Where to place the receptacle?

Im having a new kitchen built for a new home i purchased. the previous kitchen had a regular range hood so it was hardwired to the elec. there. I have opted for a microhood with this new kitchen .I know that a microhood does not go hardwired and as such requires me to convert that wiring to a receptacle. I am going to put up an receptacle there but dont know where to place it. I don't want to place the outlet so that itll end up in the center of worse yet top of the cabinet. the kitchen guy told me to install it 74 inches from the ground and directly above the power for the stove...(doesnt putting the receptacle there put in practically in the center of the cabinet directly above the microhood...)
does this sound right?
i really appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance. Sorry if im confusing you guys.

Last edited by RichieRich; 05-05-05 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Left out info.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-05, 11:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The actual height depends on the upper cabinet the micro is mounted under.
The receptacle does go in the back of upper cabinet. I do not install it in the center. If it is a vented unit (I hope, ventless is USELESS) with the vent out the top, the receptacle will wind up behind the duct. I install the receptacle about 6"-8" from the right side.

The unit's instructions will be very clear on this.

Old 05-05-05, 12:37 PM
Be careful as to the current requirements for the microwave hood. Mine needs 16.5 amps. This allows for my gas range to be on the same circuit, but nothing else.

Examine the instructions for the range hood. They will detail what is necessary. You may want to simply have a receptacle in the upper cabinet.

Old 05-05-05, 02:06 PM
Speedy....I have a ventless....works fine...

Old 05-05-05, 02:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sorry, just my opinion from what I have seen/experienced/installed.
I'll never have one in my house.

Old 05-05-05, 02:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Along with the original question: At rough-in, how far would you all recommend setting the box out from the drywall to reach into the back of the cabinet? Is there a standard depth for setting receptacles that will be in the back of cabinets?

Old 05-11-05, 01:57 PM
thanks alot guys...got it placed just where i wanted it.. bottom right hand corner inside cabinet above microhood..