Bathroom installation of combination switch/receptacle

Old 05-07-05, 11:03 AM

I currently have a GFCI on 1 wired circuit and on a seperate wired circuit (in the same box) I have a switch which is not connected to the GFCI. I want to replace the switch with a combination switch/outlet. I'm told by my township that the new switch/outlet must be protected by the installed GFCI. I have identified what is hot and what is load but don't know how to connect the wires. Can you please assist? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-05, 02:19 PM
You indicated that the switch and receptacle are on separate circuits. That means that a different breaker in your panel controls power to them. Is this what you have?

What kind of combo device did you buy? They do make a switch/receptacle combo where the receptacle is a GFCI receptacle. Is this what you bought?

Do you want your new receptacle to be on the same circuit as the switch, or on the same circuit as the other receptacle?

The new receptacle must be GFCI protected, but it need not necessarily be protected by the existing GFCI.

I don't know the answer to all the questions I just asked, but if you just bought a simple switch/receptacle combo (i.e., not a GFCI), then
  1. Break off the tab on the side of the new combo device (separating the switch from the receptacle),
  2. connect the same two wires connected to the existing switch to the screws on the switch side of the new combo device, and
  3. run two jumper wires (one black, one white) from the load side of the existing GFCI to the two screws on the receptacle side of the new combo device.

Old 05-08-05, 10:27 AM

John,
It sounds like you're on the right track because they are on a seperate circuit breakers, the switch/receptacle is not gfci and I want the new switch to be GFCI protected. I'm going to try your approach and will let you know how it turns out. Thanks!