wiring from house to carport


Old 05-07-05, 07:08 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 17
wiring from house to carport

I bought a home and the previous owners had run electricity from the house to the carport. They ran the wiring from the house out from the roof. The wiring just hangs in the air from the house to the carport. Not only is this an eyesore but is a concern since I have a child. I wanted to run the line down the side of the house and then run it underground to the carport back up the wall of the carport and into the carport storage shed.

I was interested in any guidance on the proper way to do this. I'm sure there is city code that I need to follow to bury an electrical line in my yard. Can anyone provide any information on doing this? Where can I find the city code specs for doing this? I live in San Marcos, Texas.

Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-05, 09:08 PM
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,973
Okay, first the lecture. Why did you buy the house this way? You should have insisted that they fix this BEFORE you bought it. End of lecture.

There are lots of unanswered questions. Questions that you don't even know to ask.

What are your electricity requirements out there? What is presently there, and what do you intend to add? Is this a detached carport?

What size breaker feeds this line? What else is on the circuit?

I suggest before you jump into this that you read at least one book, Wiring Simplified. It will help you answer many of these questions.
Old 05-08-05, 08:37 AM
ElectricalMan's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Harrisonburg
Posts: 744

OK I will try to give you some direction. The fact the wire is " free Air " is not a violation in itself but from what you describe it seems they just hung Romex in the air which is a problem due to the jacket rating and a few other things I could go into but I think you have made the accessment that you should replace it so I will go with that.

Now I will give you the easiest way in regards to the less expensive method.......that is still basically allowed by code so I will give a few code articles you may want to review if you have a code book....which you could pick up while you are getting that " wiring simplified " book rac suggests as I stopped and looked at it one day a supply store....every DIY should have it...

Ok.....Art 339 introduces you to UF cable which in this case I will assume you are talking about a single receptable in the shed for simple use. If you are talking about a panel in the shed serving power to the rest of the carport..ignore this...you have other issues we need to address and you need to actually post ALL the details of the carport like the number of plugs and if their is a supply panel in the shedand so on.

Now the easiest way to achieve what you are wanting IF we are talking about a single 20A circuit or less.....anything over 20A you again can't use this method......because it would not be consided a branch circuit but more a feeder which UF is not allowed for....anyway...I shall go on.... Also make sure you GFCI this circuit.......it is required in order to do the following type of install.....

Since UF can't be used in areas where it is subject to Physical Damage as listed in Art 339-3 (b)(10) so to get around that you should sleeve the 14 or 12 AWG UF in PVC conduit down the wall and to the ground and to a depth of no less than 12 inches....( why not 24 inches as Art 300-5 says, well because of exception # 4 ) now take it all the way to the carport maintaining the 12 inch depth....now back up the wall sleeving it in PVC for protection only.....Got to the height of the recept you are feeding and turn into the wall...Again make sure you GFCI this circuit or your depth will not be to code.

Make sure you UF ( even if little is showing ) has the additional rating on the jacket as Sun Light Resistant clearly marked on the jacket.

Now their are many ways to do this....PVC piping individual conductors all the way and some will say the UF does not need to be piped in PVC down the wall as it may not be subject to physical damage...and so on......but when erring on the safe side......protect in PVC...and the new code says Schedule 80 for true physical damage protection...

The reason I give you this method is it saves on PVC pipe and reduces the bury debth is all the above code rules are applied....

If this does not assist you please post more details....remember this DOES NOT APPLY if you are refering to a panel in your shed being fed by a line that is overcurrent protected at more than 20 AMPS.......very important...

This is the best and lowest cost solution in my opinion for what you want to do....unless again you are not talking about a simple branch circuit or the guy before you put a supply panel in the shed...then we need to go a different direction.
Old 05-08-05, 10:48 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 17
Thanks for the information and help. I am going to pick up the book "Wiring Simplified" today.

The carport is detached from the house, which is about 25 feet away. The house is a duplex and the the previous owners ran wiring from each residence to the carpart to supply electrcity for light fixtures in the carport and light fixtures in the two enclosed storage areas in the carport for each residence. So, there is a total of 4 light fixtures (2 for each residence). Now, I want to take the wiring from the other residence down and just run the wiring from my residence to supply the the electricity. I'm eventually opening the entire house to one home.

I'm re-doing the two storage areas in the carport and making a utility room/storage room. I'm going to move my washer and dryer out there. I've got a friend who is a plumber who is going to help me run the plumbing.

The electricity needs will be for a dryer, washer, 1 ceiling lighting fixture (storage area), 1 ceiling lighting fixture (carport ceiling) and 2 or 3 outlets and the light switches.

Sorry for the lack of information in the original post. I'm just in the planning stages of this project.

Thank you again for the help.
Old 05-08-05, 06:53 PM
ElectricalMan's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Harrisonburg
Posts: 744
Now that you have cleared it up......the solution I posted for you is not going to work for you. Just having the dryer alone will not allow the solution I posted which is for a 20A circuit or less only and protected by GFCI...

So in your NEW posted case.....you are going to have to run a line from your panel to the carport and feed a subpanel and from their you can feed the wanted washer and dryer and other things.......I would not think you need more than a 60A sub panel for what you are wanting to do....

However, it is better when you get to the actual project to post so the information we post can be relevant to your current situation as the first post is totally different from your last post and have a whole different set of requirements.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes