2 gfcis on same circuit

Old 05-08-05, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2 gfcis on same circuit

i have a dedicated outside gfci outlet in front of my house.i want to run a another outlet off this into my backyard.i want to put the back yard outlet gfci also,so if it trips i dont have to run to the front of the house to reset it .i dont see a problem with this set up,just want to make sure with yous expierenced guys.
also the other 2 deicated lines i ran for my ponds worked out great with all your help ,and now i finally have grounded circuits and gfci outlets for my ponds.and im very impressed how those in use outlet covers work.i was worried about gfci tripping when it rains and loosing power to my pond filters,and in the past 4 heavy rains the outlets never tripped...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-05, 05:09 PM
Unless you wired this circuit yourself, it seems exceptionally unlikely that the existing receptacle is really the only thing on the circuit.

Anyway, it's okay to put two GFCIs on the same circuit. The way to do this is to not to use the "load" side of the first GFCI when running the wire to the new GFCI. Just pigtail both the incoming and outgoing wires to the "line" side.

But if running around to the front to reset the GFCI would be annoying, then you are tripping your GFCIs far too much. If you trip the GFCI more than once a year, you should address the cause and not just keep resetting it.

Make sure you use "in use" covers on all your outdoor receptacles where you leave something plugged in unattended.

Old 05-09-05, 02:28 AM
thanks john...the gfci doesnt trip ,but in case it does i rather be able to just reset it close by...and the main outlet was installed by an electrician 2 years ago and is a dedicated line ...thanks again

Old 05-09-05, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by John Nelson
Anyway, it's okay to put two GFCIs on the same circuit. The way to do this is to not to use the "load" side of the first GFCI when running the wire to the new GFCI. Just pigtail both the incoming and outgoing wires to the "line" side.
I've always wondered if it would cause an issue to have a GFCI outlet connected to another GFCI through the load connection. Would this actually cause the GFCIs to not function properly or just simply be redundant?

Old 05-09-05, 08:54 AM
Have two or more GFCIs on a circuit is only redundant. They will still work (provided the connections are correct).

The problem comes in when one does trip. One may trip or more than one may trip. When searching for the GFCI to reset it, someone may get confused if they find one that isn't tripped, or if they reset one that is tripped and their device still doesn't work.

Old 05-09-05, 08:55 AM
In general, one GFCI connected to the load side of another GFCI is simply a waste of money. Twenty years ago it might have caused problems, but today's GFCIs are much less prone to false tripping.

However, in the situation presented in this thread, where lovmy is trying to avoid walking around to the front of the house in the event of a trip, it would defeat his purpose if he were to connect them this way, because there's no way to predict which GFCI would trip in the event of a ground fault. They both might trip which would be even more annoying.