Connection: appliance to toggle switch

Old 05-08-05, 09:31 PM
bouch32780
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Connection: appliance to toggle switch

Can you connect a toggle switch (with three hook-ups) to an extension cord or an appliance? And to go into more detail(sorry, i did not know i needed to be more clear), I have a toggle switch with three post on the bottom for connections. The coneections read: Power, ACC, Ground, in that order. I have an old blender motor that I have mounted to a board. The wiring from the motor is simply a 2 prong plug that goes into the wall. I need this board with motor to be mobile. I would like to know if I can use the toggle switch with that motor and then plug this into an extension cord coming from the house.
You see, I need to get the board with motor out into the yard about 50 ft. or so because the motor will eventually be turning a shaft with propeller attached. The motor will spin this shaft to optimal speed(blender speed can be altered) causing the propeller to generate lift. Thus releasing itself from motor and board. I need a switch so I can plug it all up, then step back and hit the toggle. Is this possible, if not, are there any suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited by bouch32780; 05-12-05 at 12:02 PM. Reason: vague
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-05, 11:29 PM
bouch32780
Visiting Guest
Post Can I connect a toggle switch to 2 things?

I would like to connect a toggle switch to the end of an extension cord and then to an appliance. Is it possible to plug an extension cord into the wall and then have the toggle switch in line followed then by an appliance. The toggle switch has three connections on the bottom of it: Power, ACC, and Ground.

Old 05-09-05, 04:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This post is way too vague to even make a guess. Please post more info about what you intend to do, what type of appliance (fixed or portable), how big, ...
What do you mean by attach an extension cord?
And what is a switch with "three connections"?

Old 05-09-05, 04:34 AM
I have no idea what you are asking. Why don't you try asking the question in a different way.

Old 05-09-05, 04:49 AM
You've asked the same question in two different forms, and so far two of us can't understand what you mean.

If you are asking about making your own cord and plug device using an extension cord, a switch and some wire, I would say don't do this. You can buy all manner of extension cords with built in switches, in all shapes and sizes. Anything you buy will be (hopefully) properly manufactured, tested and inspected. Anything you build may not be.

Old 05-09-05, 03:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How did that happen? This morning I was post #2. The second post from bouch was not there when I posted.

BTW - I am still not clear as to what this switch is. If it is a switch and enclosure meant to be installed on a line cord then I'd say OK. The connectoin to the appliance is still questionable though.
What is this appliance?
Can it have a new cord attached?
Was there an original cord installed and is it UL listed?